If you process your own firewood, what's your preferred length?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 5, 2021
PA, USA
First season with my stove. I've processed all of my own firewood so far. This first season's supply I cut to a standard 16-18". The Jotul F500 can accept up to 22" splits. Should I start cutting it longer to better fill the stove, or stick to the standard 16-18"? Do you size your wood to your stove or no? Thanks.

I try to cut mine 18 to 20 inches. This way my stove is filled easily loading north south and I can get longer burns

Our firewood is sized to our stove, and to my preference for loading/reloading. It’s also sized for the wood racks we use. I shoot for 18” as an average; the stove (Buck 91) will hold 21 or 22” I think, but I like having some wiggle room in front of the door, and it’s 18” from the end to the bar adjustment nuts on my saw. I haven’t noticed much difference in burn times; for longer burns pack ‘em in as tight as you can.

First season with my stove. I've processed all of my own firewood so far. This first season's supply I cut to a standard 16-18". The Jotul F500 can accept up to 22" splits. Should I start cutting it longer to better fill the stove, or stick to the standard 16-18"? Do you size your wood to your stove or no? Thanks.
Absolutely size the wood to your stove. I typically shoot for 2" less than max length

I can handle up to 22” and I cut all mine to 20”. Like others are saying, gives me a little wiggle room while maximizing the available space in the stove. Also makes for neater stacking.

Reactions: D8Chumley
My f400 max is 20". I cut 18" . 18" also stacks much better than the 16" i used to have to cut for the old jotul 3.

I try for about 18 inches. Pretty standard size for stoves, although mine can take up to 24inch. My reason is that if my current stove is replaced, I have options and don’t have to think about a couple years of wood that I’d have to trim.

Reactions: Dix
I am actually cutting all my splits now at 11 inches. These will fit N-S in my Escape 1500. I find this gives me my longest burn times. I have plenty of 16 inch splits in my wood racks even after cut many of them down to 11 inches. It is what I prefer.

Reactions: Vg3200p
North South load does burn really well in the f400. but that requires 8-9" pieces. its just too short to stack in large quantities.

18" for the PE (N/S), 16" for the 13 (E/W), gives the best burn times here.

That being said, I also like the "uglies" (weird shapes & sizes) for when I'm home, awake, and burning, Saves the splits cut to size for overnights, and daytime / away from the house burning.

I go for the 16-20” range. That gives me the ability to load a mix of N/S and E/W very comfortably in our Osburn 3500. Definitely go a few inches shorter than the max length your firebox can handle. Getting a split halfway into a bed of coals only to realize it’s too long for the firebox is super dangerous.

Luckily, our stoves, as well as family members' stoves that I feed, all take 18" so I cut to 16". But if I get to a gnarly section of trunk when bucking, I'll cut it half-length so it will split easier than full length, and those shorties can fit N-S in my side-loading stove.

I scrounge a lot off CL, so that means pretty much any size, shape and length under the sun. If I have to cut it, I try for either ~22-24 inches which is a pretty good E-W fit for my stove, or on some occasions, cut ~12-14" which is a pretty good N-S fit. If it is small limbs, or 'junk' wood, I don't worry about it too much. But when I get into nice 'healthy' chunks of hedge, I try to cut that right at the maximum length. I use my saw as a guide...tip of the bar to the second bolt on the bar clamp. The full length wood packs the stove full for long overnight burns and means I make the fewest long/time consuming cuts in the super dense hedge wood.

I cut to a standard 16-18". The Jotul F500 can accept up to 22" splits.
I too have a Jotul Oslo F500, and scrounge and process my wood. I soon realized benefits of cutting to a desired, uniform length. For me that's right about 20", but still I have plenty of uglies that I store in IBC crates and a some shorts. I try to pick straight wood when I scrounge, and the consistent, straight, longer splits make for more uniform & stable stacks. It takes longer to season the longer, thicker wood but I like the longer burns. That said I still maintain a good mix of smaller diameter splits & species throughout stacks so I can mix to match conditions: smaller kindling for start-ups, soft maple and tulip-poplar for shoulder season, big chunk mixed in for overnight, and Osage for night or just when I want longer lasting coals for an easier start up the following evening.

Reactions: D8Chumley
My stove can take 18" either way. I cut some at 17" but it is a bit close to the glass and I get dark buildup on the glass. Going to start cutting at 16"

The Intrepid is maxed at 15" E-W but I cut at 14" or a little shorter even. I'd have to go to 11" to load N-S so haven't done much of that but would be intresting to see how N-S loading would behave in the Intrepid so my try more of that soon.

I prefer 16-18" on my eyeball, I like loading NS rather then E-W which can take up to a 20" split in my stove, now for splitting, I like to go above the average split size - I'm more of a 6-8" split thickness kinda guy, my splits dry for a min 3 yrs so I can get away with bigger is better approach.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Tar12
15-19" is what I aim for at home for the NC30, 12"+/- for the Stratford II in the Northwoods. I can fit 16" n/s in the Stratford II, but it really messes up the air flow and smokes the glass...

I split with a maul. As mentioned, slightly smaller splits a lot easier. Easier than I would think for just a couple of inches shorter.

My little Answer takes up to 18". I prefer 14 -16".

Last edited:
Furnace takes something like 22 inches, but I like to keep the firewood around 16 / 18 inches. I load the firebox (N/S) to the back so I don't get any smoke rollout. I split quite a bit by hand so that is a manageable length.

14” N/S in my Quadra-fire 3100. User manual recommends 16”.

For fun I like to lay two small splits E/W across a raked out coal trough and lay a piece across them and burn one up from underneath. The stove user manual does not recommend a grate, so I don’t use one, but make a burnable one on occasion.

Reactions: PaulOinMA