If you use electricity to heat your DHW, what does it cost you/month?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My house is all gas and I generally use 400-500 kw/hr of electric in a month. Works out to around $50-70/month... usually a bit higher in winter since the lights are on longer and plugging in block heaters, etc.

Only have passed thru Mapleton, but I grew up in Keegan. My folks are still there, sister in Eagle Lake, brother in Houlton.

View attachment 68918

Wow, I love to be told I'm not being honest by someone who has no idea...............

FYI the big house is for our future family which my wife is due with in October.

If you look at the history you'll see that there is no BS thank you.

I heat my DHW with an indirect fired water heater, fed off a natural gas boiler. My gas bill is around $30 in the summer. That's for the hot water, kitchen stove and clothes dryer though. Not sure how much of that is just for heating water.

Winter my gas bill goes up to around $60 or so. I heat the house with wood but my garage still uses the boiler (slab heat). Like to keep it at 55-60* so I can work in there without being cold.

It is a small world out there Nate. What is your cost for NG/therm or however they measure it? Here in the county, it's always rumored we will get NG, but I don't think it'll happen for a LONG time. Too low of a poplulation density to make the infrastructure worth it. Right now propane is dirt cheap at $1.25/gal and smart people are flocking to it.... Who knows what will happen to that in the future.

There are alot of people here who use electric to heat water, as the electric range (cooking stove) rate is almost 100% and the electric clothes dryer is 100%. I'd never seen a gas dryer until I lived in Mass for college. I own one now.

For the majority of people around here, if they have a boiler, they have a "tankless coil" the WORST way to heat DHW in the summer and argueably winter too. We are catching up with the times though, there are some good heating guys around installing some not so conventional hardware now, indirects, gasification, pellet boilers, coal boilers, storage, and some solar. It's just hard to get people away from "scorched air" furnaces, smoke dragon boilers and stoves, and that maple kept in their musty basement sucking up water like no tomorrow. Oh and one of my favorites, the "self cleaning chimney brush" the one with a pully on the top of the chimney with cable running down to the basement to combat the smoke dragon down there.

There are pellet stoves GALORE though everyone and their brother has one, blackened vinyl siding and all, roof vent those things!

TS

Most people I know who burn LP have large accounts and get it for less than $2/gal.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.