If you were replacing your current stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete how you like your mini, how is it for cleaning, thats another stove on my list of possibilties
Got the mini to heat a 350 sq ft family room, didn't expect the amount of heat it pumps out. Now its heating my 1700 sq ft rancher, didn't buy it for that purpose but it works. If I keep the family room about 70 the far end of the house is about 65 where the bedrooms are which I like. After the house is warm I use setting 3 to maintain the heat. I'm using a small fan on low blowing toward the family room, made a big difference moving the heat. I'm not a heavy user use the heat pump until temp goes below 35 degrees. It's a very quite stove. Quick vacuum once a week does the trick for me. Got it for $1899 with a free ton of pellets, it was an unused floor model,bought it in april after the heating season. To be honest they had a p43 for $2299 that i really liked and would have bought but it wouldn't work in the small corner i had to use

Just googled Castle Serenity, looks like a good stove for the price, homedepot has them for $999 currently out of stock. gets great reviews

right now Bogie I got 7" with the serenity which is manufactures min., but the exhaust on the Serenity is off to the left side of the stove I can move the exhaust to the right a bit and up or down a bit but the stove has to pretty much stay at the same place,It comes down to stove width and exhaust location coming out the back of the stove,the harmans pretty much all have the exhaust coming out the center of the stove which with the width and side clearance is the issue.The Serenity is only 18" wide and the exhaust being on the left side only gives me a small window of movement.To the right of the stove is a window I got the be careful of clearances also.
View attachment 169939
I think you have pretty much the same set up as me - my exhaust is to the left of the stove, and there is a window to the right. The only difference is I cannot move my exhaust to either side because of studs and electrical considerations. I do have a funky pipe set up - as much due to having a different stove there to begin with as the stove exhaust being off center from the thimble.

Just googled Castle Serenity, looks like a good stove for the price, homedepot has them for $999 currently out of stock. gets great reviews
It is a good stove had mine for 3 yrs. without a stitch of trouble

I think you have pretty much the same set up as me - my exhaust is to the left of the stove, and there is a window to the right. The only difference is I cannot move my exhaust to either side because of studs and electrical considerations. I do have a funky pipe set up - as much due to having a different stove there to begin with as the stove exhaust being off center from the thimble.
when I removed the englander and installed the serenity I modified my wall to give me a 2ft x 2ft square behind the stove that no studs or wiring will be in the way thats why I have some flexibilty with the exhaust.I'm glad I done that in case I would ever get another stove.I also removed the drywall and installed the wall protectors (side and rear ) directly to the studs.We do have pretty much the same set up though.

when I removed the englander and installed the serenity I modified my wall to give me a 2ft x 2ft square behind the stove that no studs or wiring will be in the way thats why I have some flexibilty with the exhaust.I'm glad I done that in case I would ever get another stove.I also removed the drywall and installed the wall protectors (side and rear ) directly to the studs.We do have pretty much the same set up though.
I hate to tell you but drywall is far more flame resistant than wood studs. The best way is to stand the shield off of the drywall a 1/2 inch or so .

Reactions: bogieb
I hate to tell you but drywall is far more flame resistant than wood studs. The best way is to stand the shield off of the drywall a 1/2 inch or so .
the sheilds are not even necessary I just installed them that way because i cut the drywall out to mod the wall, if I ever remove the stove no big deal Put drywall back in place and then the rest of the room is paneled 3ft. down the wall so I put panel back over and done.

the sheilds are not even necessary I just installed them that way because i cut the drywall out to mod the wall, if I ever remove the stove no big deal Put drywall back in place and then the rest of the room is paneled 3ft. down the wall so I put panel back over and done.
Cool.;)

I been around here a long time so I know better about safety

How much side clearance you need? The P61 and 68 need huge clearances, but the P43 is not so much, especially if you get the side panels. A corner install only needs 9" clearance from the back of the stove itself (not the back of the hopper), so that is practically zero clearance (although you need to think about needing to clean it). My P43 takes less space than my Hastings did all told.

However, if you are going for looks, you will not like a P-series. Maybe the XXV? But, I'm unsure of clearance needed for that. And, the St. Croix Hastings is a nice looking stove too. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it as long as you don't need a huge hopper or the ability to add a hopper extension.
since we have curtains[ open in this pix] so close to the stove, I felt safer having the Harman side covers..

Attachments

• IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 152
A couple friends of mine bought the Harman Accentra. I would go for the
Porcelain Majolica Brown. It would look very nice in my family room!

It would all depend on what kind of deal i could find on craigslist at the time i need one.. im not one for buying new anything when i can get something used alot cheaper and most the time the quirks and kinks are already worked out.. but either way its new to me no matter how i look at it.

I would buy another Harman XXV. It's a great looking stove, easy to clean, puts out great heat, eats any quality pellet, only downside is they require more pictures of dead presidents than most other brands.

Dave are you saying that the Thelin cost more than a Harman

Dave are you saying that the Thelin cost more than a Harman

It did at the dealer I was at when i was looking. I liked a lot of the features the battery back up being one great one. Side clearance is smaller even the foot print was smaller.

I like corn burning because it's more cost effective, so I'd get another PC-45. Used is the only way now :(

Or is another manufacturer making a corn burning stove? Seems like everyone is selling pellet only (or you can mix up to 50/50).

The old Magnum Countryside is still being sold with a couple of changes to the feed system and burns straight corn but no auto ignition system and a PIA to keep clean.

I like corn burning because it's more cost effective, so I'd get another PC-45. Used is the only way now :(

Or is another manufacturer making a corn burning stove? Seems like everyone is selling pellet only (or you can mix up to 50/50).
Here is one corn stove that I know of
http://www.cornstoves.info

Another very old stove. Have been postings for them on CL. I know of very few of them in use with happy owners. Probably another hard to clean or must clean often.

There's a guy on CL here always advertising the Amaizablaze's semi locally. Think he is up near Dayton,OH. Never seen one but I've read enough to know I don't have the patience for one also. I did see someone selling a Bixby on Cincinnati CL just recently. he was asking $1,000 for it. I don't know much about that one but I know Rona likes his. They seem to be pretty good corn eaters. They look pretty cool.

I was thinking the OP was looking for currently manufactured stoves otherwise I would say a Bixby for eating corn. Probably the most controllable and advanced stove, just big and not very pretty.

St. Croix has a few multifuel models that burn straight corn also.

Reactions: Bioburner
Status
Not open for further replies.