If you're missing winter or looking for a place to get ur sled out...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg We still have plenty of snow up here in NW Wisconsin! And we have a good month of winter left. Here's a few photos from today :)

Last edited:
It was 9 degrees in Jackman, Maine this morning. And they have 30-36" of snow on the ground. Ski areas are just loving this (and I'm winter weary but happy for them). More northern areas are expecting snow tonight... the heavy, "mashed potatoes" stuff, but a nice topping for trails and ski slopes.

I have crocuses in bloom on the south side of my house!

Mashed potatoes type! Lol, I'll have to remember that one! Lol. My drive is getting pretty narrow! I plow it with my atv and if I have to I widen it with the snowblower but that's no fun at all!

So far, with this storm, we got around 12". It's supposed to continue until just past midnight. (I think that's when the kool-aid will be passed around)

Reactions: Bobbin
Ski areas are just loving this (and I'm winter weary but happy for them).

Have to agree with you. Local ski outfits here suffered badly over the last few years. I hope they can somewhat recover this year. Then again, as I type this, I'm looking out the window at a wall of new snow coming down - can hardly see the buildings across the street. Weather advisory is calling for up to 30 cm (approx 1 foot) new stuff tonight. Our streets are a disaster (craters, frost heaves, etc.) - probably the same everywhere though...

We're no longer dealing with snow, but the roads are still suffering the ravages of freeze/thaw cycles. There are several "frame benders" just south of my home and I watch the testosterone fuelled yahoos blow by my house and wait for the inevitable sound of metal on pavement. Hehehe... they never learn.

Hey! I want spring (big time) but I'm OK with a lingering winter that fills the pockets of my ski buddies and sled buddies. It's not gonna last forever, afterall!

I watch the testosterone fuelled yahoos blow by my house and wait for the inevitable sound of metal on pavement.

;lol

Anything over 10 mph on my street and they're airborne. They only get to do that a couple times, then they're walking (those old beaters start losing parts).

Reactions: Bobbin
still laughing at the image of yahoos suddenly "grounded" and having to "hoof it". Stupid is as stupid does!

Still plenty of Snow in northern NH. Sleds are still zipping by the house.

Last weekend - actually a very nice day. Squirrels teasing the pup. No shortage of the white stuff.

camp pic Mar 30.jpg

Reactions: WiscWoody
Sleds zipping by today on the lake - just not sure how much slush is out there. Getting just above freezing during the days so the driveway hardpack is not so hard:) still freezing at night though...

I'll bet there's quite a bit of slush,no? The local officials (the ones who end up going out to retrieve you) recommended staying off our lake totally!
The snow total from this storm is now above 14' and climbing! Gotta love it.

They were moving fast so likely not taking any chances in getting bogged down...

We had so much snow on the lake here it started to push the ice sheet down putting lake water above the ice under many feet of snow. And that was when it was very cold in January. We still have 3 foot of ice on the lake and fishing opener is in 3 weeks. Not!

Last edited:
Said good bye to winter a month ago and am not looking back. If I want snow I'll go to the mountains for it.

Wisconsin got hit hard this winter...friends of mine live in the southern prairies and were telling me about it.

However where I live is the snowbelt of Canada (pic was taken last weekend). You can snowmobile up this way until September at this rate ;)

PS. They are forecasting another 20 cm of snow this weekend.

photo 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin got hit hard this winter...friends of mine live in the southern prairies and were telling me about it.

However where I live is the snowbelt of Canada (pic was taken last weekend). You can snowmobile up this way until September at this rate ;)

PS. They are forecasting another 20 cm of snow this weekend.
Yep, you have plenty of snow yet! Nice looking digs! Love all of the pine trees!

Those trees are great until the wind starts. The root bed is very shallow and we often get lots of blow downs per wind storm.

It is snowing as we speak. Ugh.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.