Igniter Poll- How long does it take to start your pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oregun

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2017
Oregon
Noticed our stove usually takes 3-10 minutes to start up using the igniter.
We have Harman XXV.

How long does it take for igniter to light the pellets on your stove.

About the same for mine.

With the pressure igniter, once the burnpot is loaded it takes about 50 seconds. The actual ignition process occurs after the auger turns continuously for about 30 seconds to load the burnpot.

there are variables.Unscraped pot,fairly clean stove,2-3 minutes.dirty stove and pot,4-5 minutes.Just cleaned stove,4-7 minutes,as auger has to refill.BUT I only burn softies,only thing out here,and I have the high altitude impeller,which gives me just a bit too much draft,but stove stays cleaner.If I go past 1/2 ton without cleaning stove,ignition time goes up,as airflow inside stove is lower.Did tests on this unit,I generally never go over 1/2 ton before cleaning(although,for testing,I went 1 ton,before),as the heat output greatly diminishes.This is on my Accentra.

2-3 min and my P61 is giviner

edit....this was after I cleaned it...

Last edited:
Harman XXV...... typically 5-10 minutes unless the ignitor has an unbeknownst build up of ash on it, which then sometimes it gets to the point of dumping a few pellets over the pot edge, but will eventually light up.

Quad is smoking at 3min and blazing at 4min

Ditto, unless I preload the burn pot with a handful of pellets which I sometimes do to accelerate the process.

4 to 5 min. every time with per loaded burn pot

My old breckwell is about 5 - 10 by the time the burnpot gets enough to ignite and get roaring..

Wax on wax off ;lol

3 1/2 minutes to load the burnpot. Then the ignitor comes on and usually within 2 minutes I got flame.

Harman P61A...
One of the larger burnpots out there so takes a good amount of pellets that the auger delivers..
usually 10-12 minutes to start seeing some flames....sometimes longer...

I throw couple handfulls in and then start it. About 3-5 min. I just did major cleaning today and it started very fast. 3 Min or less. Harmon XXV new May 2018 (1st season).

Down to about 10 bags of pellets. Warm weather is late! Don't want to break into last 1 Ton wrapping.

Seems to be the size of your burnpot figures alot in how long it takes to ignite. Bigger pot=more pellets.

Depends on whether there are pellets in the auger or not. Starting with an empty auger, it takes 3-1/2 minutes just for the first pellets to make it into the pot, and another minute or two to get enough pellets in the pot to kindle a flame.

If the auger is full or I prime the burn pot, sparks start flying at 3-1/2 minutes, flame within seconds thereafter.

Does anyone else put a squirt of hand sanitizer onto the pellets in the pot before starting it? It's pretty flammable stuff (alcohol). Fires right up. Piazzettas Sabrina. Without the added sanitizer mine is also 2-3 minutes.

it's up and running before the coffee is ready. I have never timed it. OTOH, lately in the morning I begin the shutdown on the Harman 52i about an hour before I leave for work. Then I turn off the the outlet using a wemo outlet. Set the fan switch back on. Then right before I leave work I turn on the outlet, and come home to a warming up house. It's great. I ordered 2 more wemo outlets for the warm mist humidifiers. ;)

Put a handful of fresh pellts in burn pot, add some gel start, light it, after a minute or so, turn on stove.

4-5 minutes for my PDV but usually about 10 until it’s blazing