I'm interested in buying a Stuv 16 - anything comparable I should look at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No, he has the Squirrel 2b. I have read both opinions on the 5660. Some say it convects well and others say that the blower is a must. This difference is an example of the circumstances and installation I think. A 5660 in a well-insulated house heating a single, 600 sq ft area might be fine. Put the same insert in an open-floorplan, high-ceilinged house of 2000 sq ft and the owner might be complaining that the blower must be running all the time for adequate heat.

No, he has the Squirrel 2b. I have read both opinions on the 5660. Some say it convects well and others say that the blower is a must. This difference is an example of the circumstances and installation I think. A 5660 in a well-insulated house heating a single, 600 sq ft area might be fine. Put the same insert in an open-floorplan, high-ceilinged house of 2000 sq ft and the owner might be complaining that the blower must be running all the time for adequate heat.
It's a pretty small space - 400 sq ft in a 1200 sq ft home. Maybe I go with the blower model but skip the motor for now? Even if I never end up buying/installing the motor, the blower compartment will help vertically center the window inside the existing opening.

Do you have the 5660 by chance? My main question with that one is actually the opposite as the Stuv - whether or not it needs the optional blower. I've seen a couple of places online that say the convection is very strong and the blower is virtually unnecessary.
Morso uses high quality castings with gasketed seams and has been in the business of making high quality stoves for decades. I have a freestanding 2b Classic, but if I were in your shoes I would pick the 5660. While it may convect well without the blower, you will want to have the option. The Stuv may be a fine product, but I know the 5660 is a proven product.

Morso uses high quality castings with gasketed seams and has been in the business of making high quality stoves for decades. I have a freestanding 2b Classic, but if I were in your shoes I would pick the 5660. While it may convect well without the blower, you will want to have the option. The Stuv may be a fine product, but I know the 5660 is a proven product.
Hi Spacebus,

I am interested in Morso 5660 as well. Can you elaborate on " castings with gasketed seams"? Do those seams perform as well as welded steel ? Firebox air tightness is my main concern since I will build my house pretty tight w/ a powerful kitchen hood.

Thank you.

Hi Spacebus,

I am interested in Morso 5660 as well. Can you elaborate on " castings with gasketed seams"? Do those seams perform as well as welded steel ? Firebox air tightness is my main concern since I will build my house pretty tight w/ a powerful kitchen hood.

Thank you.
The tightness of your house has little or no impact on how the stove is constructed. If your house is too tight to supply the necessary make up air for the stove, smoke will come out the intakes no matter how the stove is made.

Cast iron vs welded steel is a personal preference. The advantage to the Morso is it can be rebuilt without refractory mortar since it uses gasketed seams.

I purchased the Stuv 16 insert, my first insert and woodstove for that matter. I'm finding it somewhat challenging to get the fire going to full inferno, you have to keep the door open for a long time to feed it air and the logs must be well split, but once it gets there I get a lot of heat. Far more than an open fire. My installer did not create a vent to the outside, I may ask that he redo the installation to take that recommendation into account.

Also, I was forewarned that there would be an initial burnoff of solvents, which happened. But then I also had the same problem Rasputin mentioned of the house filling with woodsmoke, triggering the fire alarms. This despite the insert window being closed. Not sure where to go from here, will contact the seller / installer.
How long a burn are you getting with your Stuv?

but with a masonry fireplace I want rear-vent capability, so it's still a no-go here

From stuv 16-in manual, it seems Stuv does have the ability to take air from outside, actually, even through ash clean out.
Unless, of course, I misunderstood what you meant by "no-go here", or maybe, it didn't have such ability back then, in year 2020?

1687504368862.png

But then I also had the same problem Rasputin mentioned of the house filling with woodsmoke, triggering the fire alarms. This despite the insert window being closed. Not sure where to go from here, will contact the seller / installer.
Have you been able to resolve the issue?