I'm renting an excavator! I have some questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
As mentioned in some of my other threads I have some landscaping work to do, and some home foundation work to do. I have a friend of the family who owns an excavator for his business and is enthusiastic about renting it to me for a very good price when its sitting idle.

So now its time to play! Other than some tree planting I want to dig away the crawl space foundation around the house to install a robust french drain system and really water proof the exterior walls.

Other than damaging the house is there anything to worry about when removing all of the exterior soil around the foundation walls? Will there be any risk not having the crawl space walls supported? I'm leaning toward no but just double checking.

Odds are you may find the primary household ground rod. Its better to look for it than accidentally find it.

DO not excavate down below the footing.

Last edited:
Reactions: fbelec and Rob_Red
All I can say is plan your work so that the dirt you move does not become an obstacle to further digging. That, and that the removed dirt is placed so as to be easy to back fill.

The biggest problem I have is that after a few hours I am bored silly and my mind begins to wander. That is a recipe for disaster. Take breaks before you start day dreaming.

I have no opinion on the crawl space walls. Normally it is okay, but your soil and moisture are the deciding factors.

Watch out for any underground wires, also your water n sewer lines...as far as the wall, you should be fine as long as there are no existing structural issues...just make sure not to put much, if any, lateral (side) pressure on the wall with the bucket, or by taking a huge bite right next to the wall when there is no existing ditch there for the pressure on the dirt to "expand" to...if that makes sense.

Last edited:
and really water proof the exterior walls.
You should consider installing insulation and a vertical drainage system on the exterior of your basement walls.

Also, if your basement walls are made of blocks you may want to consider strengthening them by filling voids and maybe adding some rebar. This is best done while you have good access and can prevent later wall implosions. In our area many basement block walls implode and owners find out too late that this damage is not covered by their insurance unless they have an earth movement rider in place.

Last edited:
Definitely know where any underground infrastructure is. Also, strip the topsoil off and stockpile it for reuse, then commence with digging subsoil and stockpiling that. Save yourself the brain damage of mixing it all together. Take your time of you aren't used to running a machine regularly.

Reactions: Rob_Red
Don't try to do all the walls at once do it in sections
If you lose the excavator you aren't stuck with a ditch around your house