I'm scrounging in my own yard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo's Dad

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
Canton, CT
I promised my wife that I would not cut down anymore trees until I processed everything I could that was on the ground. The problem is I am kind of a wood snob.
Today I went after the oldest wood on my property, red oak from the October blizzard 4 years ago. I have been walking around it because it was starting to rot. So today I started working on it. I noodled the rotten edges off and the center was solid, waterlogged, but solid. uploadfromtaptalk1434824403788.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434824410265.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434824415982.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434824423448.jpg

Yeah, I've shaved the punk offa Red Oak, but it has to be really fast and easy or I won't mess with it. Oak heartwood will hold up a long time if it's up off the ground.
But it has to be someone else's wood to be a scrounge. ==c

Last edited:
That's quite similar to the dead standing red oak I've been burning. Got two cords last Winter and seven cords the Winter before that.
Easy splitting (except for the crotches) Burned real nice.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.