I'm thinking my FPX large hybrid-fyre catalyst has failed or is clogged- advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
My stove is not putting out good heat. I can get the temp probe up to 750 degrees and then engage the cat the temps will drop to 500 and just sit there. I can then open the cat and the temps rise again. The stove is only 3 months old. I have vacuumed the cat from the front. Suggestions?

What is the moisture content of the wood? If it's not so good then the cat will certainly struggle. Have you tried leaving the bypass open longer?

What is the moisture content of the wood? If it's not so good then the cat will certainly struggle. Have you tried leaving the bypass open longer?
Most of the wood is about 14%. There are a few that range between 18-24% I keep those on the hearth until they dry a little more. I am keeping the by-pass open now for 10 min after re-load. The cat seems to be working better now. I currently have 930 degrees. I never see the temps I see other people talk about. 1100,1200,1300 does not happen. Are those temp probes located somewhere else on those stoves? What are others seeing with this exact model. It is the large hybrid-fyre flush insert.