I'm thinking Stihl chainsaws are nothing but hype!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ignoring inflation and money spent on maintenance, I've never sold a tractor or a chainsaw for less than I paid in buying it. Care for equipment, and inflation will care for your sale price.

Of course, the $1200 you drop on a new saw today won't feel quite as big, when you get it back in 20 years, thanks to... inflation.
that is if you are still alive 20 years from now

Do you ever have a positive thought?
Or does living in NY just pound the life out of you?

For me, the electric saw works really good. Last summer I found about 10 cords of small Red Alder which required multiple starts; just press the trigger and it goes! The video shows the MSA 220 at work.

Our 3 battery saws. bottom MSA 160 11 years old - no problems with batteries or saw.
middle MSA 220 has done around 16 cords - no problems.
top MSA 300 has done about 16 cords - no problems.

View attachment 314322

On a YouTube post for Stihl Chainsaw Chaps, they said the chaps will not stop and Electric saw as the torque is higher. Just something to consider.

• Wow
Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
well if you spent apx 300 on something in the 80's that would be apx 1000 green backs now
Of course... but if that "something" was a pro-grade chainsaw, I'd bet you can sell it for $300 today, if kept in good condition!

Well, if not, then I won't be too worried about the chainsaws sitting in my shed.

I see a lot of my friends passing away in their 50's-60's. I see reality do not live in a dream world. I leave that for the females
Ahh a N.Y. thing...
Reinforces the never going there feelings of N.Y.

On a YouTube post for Stihl Chainsaw Chaps, they said the chaps will not stop and Electric saw as the torque is higher. Just something to consider.
No clutch on an electric saw either

I see a lot of my friends passing away in their 50's-60's. I see reality do not live in a dream world. I leave that for the females
4 of my good friends died this year. 2 completely unexpected, 2 from cancer. All 4 were under 57.

Seeing that in my small town
We used to get 1-2 deaths a year
Getting close to 10 this year
Lots of people with stuff coming back with a vengance,cancer,heart issues,strokes and other stuff

I own the EGO Power+ LB6504 650 CFM, this is the one I like best so far, fast delivery and easy to use.
Two posts, both about the same leaf blower... one of them on a chainsaw thread.

What type of chainsaw are you running in Manhattan?

Might be a spam bot, the new ones are AI and can interact with you. Or it may be a real person spamming. Both suck.

Reactions: Ashful

And there is a link for a Black Friday sale in his profile.. The only use for a Leaf blower in Manhattan is to blow the garbage away from in front of your business

Might be a spam bot, the new ones are AI and can interact with you. Or it may be a real person spamming. Both suck.
Yep, my point exactly, note the link in his profile. Been seeing them pop up quite a bit in forums, over recent months.

These are the "T100" models, easy to spot. Wait until the T1000's come along, they'll be chatting amongst themselves!

1700226556371.png

Reactions: kborndale
ask for a picture of their hands...
AI can't do hands...,yet

1. There's a reason many pro's prefer Stihl over other brands. Won't go into it, not worth arguing, the Farmboss isn't a pro saw.

2. Echo is a great brand for all around reliability. Many landscapers around here favor Echo for this reason. But they'll never win on performance, weight, etc. In addition to fleet management incentives (which often sways brand choice), this is why you'll see many landscaper trucks filled with Echo equipment, but most tree pro's carrying Husqvarna or Stihl.

3. Any saw can get gummed up if you leave old fuel sit in it, that's not a problem unique to Stihl, or any other brand. If you're going to do that, then yes, you'd be better off buying single-use Poulans. Just buy a new saw each year.

My oldest Stihl is an 85cc model 064 AV, still running perfectly fine on its original carburetor, after many hundreds (thousands?) of tanks of fuel through the last ~40 years. It still has a better power to weight ratio than anything ever made by Echo, then or today. I also owned an Echo 510EVL for more than 20 years, and it was a very reliable saw, but didn't have enough power to swing more than a 20" bar and it weighed as much as a sack of bricks!
Had to look up your old saws and eBay is a great place to find them. I’m amazed what some want for their older saws and this Stihl 064 AV is an example of that, they want $1105 with shipping but they’re open to offers.

IMG_3416.png

Had to look up your old saws and eBay is a great place to find them. I’m amazed what some want for their older saws and this Stihl 064 AV is an example of that, they want $1105 with shipping but they’re open to offers.

View attachment 319901
the reason the old saws run forever is cause the EPA at that time did not force the makers to meet stupid emissions. so the chain saw makers rigged up the carbs to meet unobtainable standards. that led to hard starting. I have never saw 2 cycle gas go bad I had cheap sears saws that I didnt use for years went to give them to a young guy but wanted to see if they ran. both started in under 5 pulls

Those EPA emission standards also lead to the factory setting the carbs on the lean side. I scored a piston on one and the Repair shop said that was probably the reason. Cost of repair would have exceeded cost of new saw.

Jap small motors are the best ever made. they figured out how to make their carbs as good as fuel injection. utterly reliable no matter how long the gas is in them. my echo saw is like that

Those EPA emission standards also lead to the factory setting the carbs on the lean side. I scored a piston on one and the Repair shop said that was probably the reason. Cost of repair would have exceeded cost of new saw.
not a bad idea to put a little more oil in the mix also I got a pretty new poulan 20" and I sent for a special tool to adjust the carb. I set it to be richer and it works fine . easy starting even when it sits for a year

View attachment 319901
Yep, and there's good reasons for that, although that particular price is a good bit more than I paid for mine. You will be hard-pressed to find another 6.2 hp saw that weighs 14.6 lb. or less, and has the same reliability and parts availability as the 064/066 series. The various flavors of 064 alone run just 2.2 - 2.3 lb/hp, which is really impressive by the standard of any decade. Stihl has made newer saws since then that match this, but only at substantially higher cost ($1600+), and I don't think they've ever actually outdone the 064 by any significant measure.

Echo doesn't publish HP numbers like Stihl and Husqvarna do, you can draw your own conclusions from that. But just comparing weight and displacement, why does a 40 year old 90cc Stihl, made out of mostly metal and older materials, weigh less than a brand new 75cc Echo? ;hm No comparison.

Tying this way back to the OP, Stihl is not "just hype". But, there's also something to be said for trading a little performance for maximizing reliability. I honestly have never had a single problem with any of my Stihl's or my one Husqvarna. But I would believe that by backing off on peaking performance, it might be reasonable to assume Echo is maximizing reliability, on a large fleet scale. Individual opinions from individual users on individual saws are not very useful in determining that.

Last edited:
Yep, and there's good reasons for that, although that particular price is a good bit more than I paid for mine. You will be hard-pressed to find another 6.2 hp saw that weighs 14.6 lb. or less, and has the same reliability and parts availability as the 064/066 series. The various flavors of 064 alone run just 2.2 - 2.3 lb/hp, which is really impressive by the standard of any decade. Stihl has made newer saws since then that match this, but only at substantially higher cost ($1600+), and I don't think they've ever actually outdone the 064 by any significant measure.

Echo doesn't publish HP numbers like Stihl and Husqvarna do, you can draw your own conclusions from that. But just comparing weight and displacement, why does a 40 year old 90cc Stihl, made out of mostly metal and older materials, weigh less than a brand new 75cc Echo? ;hm No comparison.

Tying this way back to the OP, Stihl is not "just hype". But, there's also something to be said for trading a little performance for maximizing reliability. I honestly have never had a single problem with any of my Stihl's or my one Husqvarna. But I would believe that by backing off on peaking performance, it might be reasonable to assume Echo is maximizing reliability, on a large fleet scale. Individual opinions from individual users on individual saws are not very useful in determining that.
Good points and a well written response as usual from you Ashful, so now I know why they ask a premium for that saw and it made me look on eBay again for it and WOW I was shocked to see another 064 AV listin for more than twice the example I posted the other day. All‘s good though since he includes shipping on this saw lol. I might keep my eyes open for a deal on one of these (<500?) that is in decent shape but if it’s up for auction that will probably prove to be futile.

The asking price for this clean looking 064 is the same price I just paid for a new 592XP with a 32" X-Tough Light bar and a chain plus a new 372XP with the same light bar, but its a 28" (that I’m changing to a GB Titanium 24") and chain from Bailey’s. Two saws I really didn’t need but I figure I pay zero for my heat and I gave up my expensive iPad games I always spent much money on so I deserved lol.

IMG_3423.png

Last edited:
I have found quite a few 064's on the cheaper side that need a little work.
Start looking around you will find one if you are patient.

The asking price for this clean looking 064 is the same price I just paid for a new 592XP with a 32" X-Tough Light bar and a chain plus a new 372XP with the same light bar, but its a 28" (that I’m changing to a GB Titanium 24") and chain from Bailey’s. Two saws I really didn’t need but I figure I pay zero for my heat and I gave up my expensive iPad games I always spent much money on so I deserved lol.
Wow! I'm really surprised to see such high asking prices on such old saws. I don't remember exactly what I paid for mine 10 years ago, but it was in the $500 - $700 range, as I've never gone higher than that on any used saw.

The 592XP is a killer saw, I wouldn't be shopping 40 year old 064's if I already had that! I've always preferred Stihl, maybe only out of familiarity and personal ergonomics, but I know two local arborists who prefer Husqvarna for their personal saws. Both buy Stihl for their workers/fleets, because they say they seem to be more durable to being dropped and banged around, but both prefer Husqvarna for pure performance in their own hands.

Reactions: WiscWoody
The arborist I know prefers Husky too.

I’m perfectly happy with my Stihl.