Impossible to split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason H

Oct 9, 2020
Hudson, Quebec
Can anyone tell me what type of wood this is. I have a bunch of small straight rounds which are impossible to split. Clould it be elm?

Impossible to split Impossible to split

American elm.
Yep, I agree. Had a load of Log lenght (free), the tree guy wouldn't drop it unless I had a splitter.....Thank God

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I have never cut up elm but that stringy wood reminds me of hickory. I don't mess with hickory, I can't split it.

I have a 30 ton splitter still won't deal with it. Takes twice as long to process as any other wood.

For red elm and shagbark hickory, the best approach is to split the white sapwood off of the center heart wood. I don't think that will work for American elm, but it is worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet. I don't get much American elm. Lots of big hickory rounds lately.

American elm is the reason I built my big splitter. It doesn't care.... ::P

Back in the 1970s when I was teenager the Arab oil embargo drove the market for wood stoves and firewood. It was also the tail end of the Dutch Elm Disease epidemic where I lived. All the towns had cut down big elms and most of the trunks ended up in big dumps (usually old gravel pits). The bark was long gone but the wood up off the ground was hard as a rock. Folks with gravel pits full of them were sawing them up and selling truckloads to people desperate for dry wood. The guys with the big splitters were the only ones that could touch it. The local rental places had some 30 ton units and they were booked out for months. No doubt more than a few of those logs people bought never got split and went back to the dump.

Reactions: TreePointer
Those 70s dead elms here were really fertile ground for morels. We tried to give the elms away to a few firewood people, but they hesitated and never did come to get them.

Reactions: TreePointer