This is Cedar Elm right? Maybe ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Out at a lot that has a bunch of trees that need to go. Was going to gather to sell for firewood...but this? Is a no go for me. Looks punky and rotted out. Also, appears to be Cedar Elm and I don't wanna find out how hard that is to split by hand lol
IMG_20240216_114626.jpg
IMG_20240216_120031.jpg
IMG_20240216_120818.jpg
IMG_20240216_114808.jpg
IMG_20240216_115901.jpg

What part of the country are you in? I'm not familiar with cedar elm but I am familiar with cedar and ash trees that we have in the northeast. The bark looks somewhat similar to ash in one of the pictures but the branches don't resemble the ash trees in the northeast by any means. Also ash trees tend to grow straight with few bends. Cedar around here is coniferous. Not sure about elm.

Reactions: Dfw245
Texas. Yeah I'm starting to think cedar elm is a Texas tree. All the search results seem to think so. I do see white ash in one of the photos. But it was pretty bad. The leaves also scream cedar elm to me.

The pic of the rounds look like three different species to me. The four in the middle look a bit like the eastern white cedar (conifer) we have here. Not at all like the standing tree picks that look kind of like ash.