Improving appearance of the metal parts on old hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Hi Gentlemen. I bought an old Hearthstone last year that I am not going to be able to use. I would like to clean it up some and take some pics to sell it for a little bit of a profit if I can. I live in VA.
It's a Hearthstone II with the unenameled iron. It's in nice shape inside and out, even seems to have good gaskets, but has not been used for several years, so the inside is a bit scaly (all parts intact and good shape though) and the outside metal parts are fine but could use a little touch of oil or wax to bring them back. Which brings me to my questions.
The inside of the stove appears not to have been cleaned out prior to storage. The metal on the inside has ash on it and some scaliness and a bit of surface rust. The inside of the door (around the outside of the glass) looks a bit rusty/scaly. Even the tool that opens the door is a bit scaly. On old garden tools etc I have oiled them up and steel wooled them, that kind of thing... and I thought maybe a dremel might help on this, but I don't want to make anything worse (worse LOOKING, either) or damage anything. The oil and steel wool thing usually works better on steel and things that are not real "nubby" in their surface yet. The inside of the stove looks a bit "nubby" -- would a wire brush look better or should I just leave it alone?
And on the outside metal parts, (very nice condition but dull-looking) would oiling or using a little wax work well or just make a mess?
I saw one of these stoves with the enameled metal parts go for a ridiculous price on ebay recently... I don't expect anything near that but what the heck, the more I can get for it the closer I will be to being able to get a good efficient new insert that will actually fit in my house! Thanks in advance.

Inside, I'd just brush it out and vacuum it and get it looking like the inside of a used but well cared for stove. Outside, you might go find a motorcycle shop and pick up a can of a product called "S100 Engine Brightener". Spray it on lightly, and you're done. I wouldn't go scratching around anywhere on it with a wire brush or anything harsh, unless you're planning to take the time to completely refinish & paint it. Couple of squirts of graphite powder in the hinges and door latch mechanism will make it work (and show) better. Just some thoughts. Good luck with it! Rick

Rick, thanks so much for this advice. Sorry I am just now responding, but I appreciate it, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.