Improving draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator eye

Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Wood stove in basement with a External chimney, 32' masonary chimney with clay liner. pipe goes into chimney about 6 foot up from the bottom. the top of the chinmey is about 2 foot taller than the roof peek and about 5 foot to the side of the roof peek.

I get very little draft, not even enough to bend a match flame at the door. Any ideas to improve draft?

Would extending the pipe a couple of foot help? do they make a clay liner to steel pipe adapter?

There should be plenty of height, though if it's still mild outside, draft may be weak. Have you tried opening a window in the basement? There may be other appliances competing for the air supply there. What's the tile size in the chimney and what stove is connected to it?

Also, can we assume the chimney's been cleaned? Some times critters will try to build a nest in the chimney top.

BeGreen said:
There should be plenty of height, though if it's still mild outside, draft may be weak. Have you tried opening a window in the basement? There may be other appliances competing for the air supply there. What's the tile size in the chimney and what stove is connected to it?

Also, can we assume the chimney's been cleaned? Some times critters will try to build a nest in the chimney top.

Yes freshly cleaned.
The pipe out of the stove is 7", I got it reduced down to 6" pipe going from the stove into the chimney, that is the size of the thumble going though the wall and that dumps into a 8x8 clay liner.
I have a 3 inch open air pipe coming into the basement from the outside to feed the appliances fresh air.
No other appliances going into the wood stove's chimney. last year even in the dead of winter with a hot stove I still had a poor draft.

sawdustburners said:
bet an insulated liner would do the trick$ make sure chimney cleanout door is tight & no other air can get into it.

try installing flue from stove to chimney so it rises at an angle instead of up & over?
try double wall pipe so to get more heat into chimney from stove
reducing flue pipe might work better if reduced at the stove instead of the chimney
just guessing...good luck

I never thought about the clean out door, I'll check it.
I also have a baro. draft in the pipe about a foot from the stove (it is actually a wood furnace). I got the weight set tight so the door don't open but it still doesn't seem very air tight....maybe I should get rid of it and change my pipes around so I have no 90 degree pipes. Thanks i'll try it.

sawdustburners said:
bet an insulated liner would do the trick$ make sure chimney cleanout door is tight & no other air can get into it.

try installing flue from stove to chimney so it rises at an angle instead of up & over?
try double wall pipe so to get more heat into chimney from stove
reducing flue pipe might work better if reduced at the stove instead of the chimney
just guessing...good luck

+1 on the cleanout door. If it's allowing air in- then it acts as a "passive damper". The chimney draws more through the path of least resistance... the one without baffles, and reducers, and burning logs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.