Improving the Husqvarna 455 Rancher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
I’ve got a Husqvarna 455 Rancher, with a 20” bar, that I like. It starts very easy and runs great in even the coldest weather and it’s just out of warranty. However, compared to my Stihl MS 441 it’s a dog. Mostly, I use the MS 441 because it's such a beast.

Just for fun and the experience I’d like to improve the performance of the 455. Any suggestions to improve the 455’s power output at a reasonable cost?:p

Subscription. ;)

I too have a 455. I dont mind running it over my other saws. The one I use the most is the 036. But I just got a 460 and I am having a complex, I cant stop using it. Now the other 2 sit there.

I have found by putting a 16" bar on recently, that the Saw is much more vibrant. Runs a lot faster and stays faster in the cut.

A few I can think of, would be a higher flowing air filter, and a muffler mod. !!

Just put a dual port muffler on the 460.... Wowzers

I've never messed with the 455. Like most all modern saws, the muffler needs opened and the carb retuned

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/193418.htm

This looks like a nice looking muffler mod. The poster does nice work and is a very friendly guy, he'd probably answer questions if you had them. Didn't see any talk of removing limiter tabs on the carb screws though. I usually get them lined up right and pull them with a dry wall screw.

My saw is a 445 however the mod will be similar. I did notice about a 10-17% increase in performance. Ken

Attachments

• 445 Muffler modification Cows calfs 012.jpg
    445 Muffler modification Cows calfs 012.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 11,764
My saw is a 445 however the mod will be similar. I did notice about a 10-17% increase in performance. Ken

How do you tell a 9-16% increase from a 10-17% increase...? (Pass the popcorn, please.)

Reactions: Realstone
Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Hmm, if I had an ms441 I think the only mod I'd be doing to my Rancher would involve using craigslist/ebay to turn it into a smaller/lighter saw. ;)

Reactions: MasterMech
Hmm, if I had an ms441 I think the only mod I'd be doing to my Rancher would involve using craigslist/ebay to turn it into a smaller/lighter saw. ;)
You just may have the best idea for a modifying my 455!;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.