In need of some direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer292

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
LI NY
I found this site researching an insert for my fireplace. I am not familiar at all with owning/using an insert and have found this site very informative so far. I live in NY on LI and plan to use the insert to help keep the oil bill down. My house is a small colonial, as far as colonials go measuring all together about 2300 sf. The main floor is pretty wide open, with the room the fireplace is in at about 400 square feet with two doorways, one 6 foot wide and the other 9 feet wide opening into the kitchen area. The chimney is outside the house and the front of the fireplace has been removed to the point that the brick is flush with the wall, if you could call it flush. Meaning the face of the fireplace needs to be redone. A crappy contractor convinced my wife it was the thing to do and has since left but thats a whole other story.Now I am left with the task of starting over. Now for a few questions.
Should I finish the fireplace so it is functional as a " fireplace"first, or have the insert installed after refacing, or should I have the insert installed and then reface? ( The firebox is wide open measuring 37 inches wide and 31 inches high now, after the ripping of the face. The front opening wasn't that high before and I would think it would need to be finished a little smaller to be a functional fireplace because now the flu handle/ring is visible from the front.)
Should I be looking at the square footage of the floor the fireplace is located or the whole house when choosing an insert?
Should I get the biggest insert that will fit and forget about the square footage ratings?
Lennox/country, VC, Hearthstone, Lopi, Yotul are a few names that are available from local shops but I haven't checked them all yet. I like the clydesdale from Hearthstone.
I feel like I'm in a bad spot seeing as how the fireplace face needs refinishing and It's not just an install but the other side of it is now I can have it finished to the insert and not have to use the surround, I think. Like the title says I need some direction.Thanks in advance.

This is what I did.
HearthStone Heritage break in fire!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3106/

Use the search on this sit and Google to really get you started. READ, READ,READ. Contact your building inspector and a chimney sweep about your chimney as this may limit your options as to what can be done and has to be done to pass a final install inspection.

I'm just a stand alone stove guy. How about finishing it so you can use a large stand alone with lots of BTU's and have a fully insulated liner installed to overcome the negatives of an outside stack? If you have to finish, why not finish it to be a stand alone stove installation. Just a thought to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.