in or out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

ok i justed cut split and stacked 8 cord of bur oak ,about 27 million BTU per cord..I have axcess to about 10 more cord.these are live trees that have to come down due to rising water ,,the 8 cord ive put inside buildings, but the rest ,will this wood cure faster inside or outside..thank you all inadvance ZZZim

Outside. Unless you are putting it INSIDE a kiln.

KC

iskiatomic said:
Outside. Unless you are putting it INSIDE a kiln.

KC
+1

I guess it depends on what type of building you are talking about, but unless the building allows really good air circulation, then the wood will season faster outside. If the building is something really wide open, where wind can blow through, then maybe you should stack it inside. Lots of people here will tell you they stack most of their wood outside, and many don't even cover the tops, then move a winter's supply inside in the fall to make sure it isn't wet, snow-covered, or icy when the time comes to burn. If you have a nice open building that will allow good seasoning, then stacking it inside will save you ever having to consider moving it inside before burning. On the other hand, I picture North Dakota as being full of open, windy places to stack wood, and short on inside storage space, so maybe i'd save the indoor space for something else and stack outside. The wood will season perfectly well outside.

Definitely stack oak outdoors, even burr oak. That ND wind will help a lot. If I stacked that wood indoors, I'd want it in an old corncrib.

Depends on whether the building is heated or not. If it is a heated building, it will dry faster and to a lower moisture content inside.

Stack it outside to season. Bring it inside to store.

All of my wood goes outside until dry enough to burn. Standing dead elms take the shortcut right to the shed but most everything else is stacked outside for 1-3 seasons before coming inside. My shed is an old open front animal shed / machinery building with the south side open. My experience here in southwest Iowa is that outside drying is a lot faster than inside. If you had an old corn crib that would be the ideal drying shed. That is what they were made for.

Lay some old 2x4s or anything down as runners before stacking. I have found getting it off the ground keeps the bottom row in a lot better shape. You can also bring your wood in during the winter without having to fight the bottom row being settled and frozen into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.