In search of quiet, low speed fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gthomas785

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2020
Central MA
I own a lot of fans. Box fans, desk fans, ceiling fans, pedestal fans.

I use them in the summer. I try to use them in the winter too, to distribute heat from the stoves.
Unfortunately every fan I've bought in the last five years is too powerful and too loud even on low, for this purpose. I had one Lasko box fan that came with my house which was perfect, nice and quiet with a very gentle air flow. Sadly that fan met a terrible fate when it tipped over while running and the blade shattered. The new box fans from the same brand are different, much noisier and with too much air movement for winter use.

Does anyone have recommendations for a currently available portable fan product that is freestanding and quiet? Or if there's a diy way to decrease the speed of my existing fans without burning up the motors. I dont need or want a lot of air movement. Just something I can put on the floor to gently waft cool air toward the stove. Thanks.

Reactions: bigealta
8hf-sw-sandalwood-hand-fan-square_1200x.jpg

Dyson bladeless fan?

I own a lot of fans. Box fans, desk fans, ceiling fans, pedestal fans.

I use them in the summer. I try to use them in the winter too, to distribute heat from the stoves.
Unfortunately every fan I've bought in the last five years is too powerful and too loud even on low, for this purpose. I had one Lasko box fan that came with my house which was perfect, nice and quiet with a very gentle air flow. Sadly that fan met a terrible fate when it tipped over while running and the blade shattered. The new box fans from the same brand are different, much noisier and with too much air movement for winter use.

Does anyone have recommendations for a currently available portable fan product that is freestanding and quiet? Or if there's a diy way to decrease the speed of my existing fans without burning up the motors. I dont need or want a lot of air movement. Just something I can put on the floor to gently waft cool air toward the stove. Thanks.
Me too, I'm looking for the exact same thing.

Reactions: gthomas785
Very popular and common in Canada (and also made here) is the Caframo Chinook fan. We have had a couple of these for 10 years or so and they are still going strong, summer and winter, also if they quit they are repairable. I don't know where you can buy them but they are on Amazon.

Desk fans tend to be smaller and quieter - I have a Honeywell that looks like the Vornado posted above, and it's pretty quiet.