In the market for a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
looking for a chainsaw like the skihl line and like the 250 series was told to think of the 270 tell me what you think

What and how much and size you cut?

oops sorry its my first year just bought a house putting on a quadrafire 4300 in in 2 weeks have my 25 ton splitter as of now i have 1.5 cords of wood ready and trying to have another 1.5 ready soon

im looking at a 18" bar if that helps at all im not sure how "big" you can cut with that

this year i might have to buy some seasoned wood and that should set up up for this year and what ever i save up this year and next ill will be ready

i dont know how much i am going to burn yet i am told 2 cords all the way to 4 cords so its going to be a wait and see

a 270 would do that amount of wood for you. I run a 028 and did about 3 cords last year and this year will be the same. I wouldn't go any smaller than that, though. 290 is an option, but my honest opinion is that you'll eventually start itching for something larger. I'd just go ahead and get the 362 and be done with it. with a saw that size you'll make easy work of the amount of wood you are looking at, and if you ever need to expand your wood processing operations then your saw will be fine.

well the 270 and the 290 NEW are about 450ish so im prepared to pay that i am looking to buy something that will LAST i am a mechanic by trade and take good care of my stuff and i like to buy stuff that will last and hopfully not "outgrow" i will look into the 362 now

N N.J. lots of things can change how much your going to use. Lets just say 3-5 cords 270 or 290 what I would look at..Get your hands on them and see what one fills better nothing but good things to say about the 290. 270 I hear it is the anti-vibe what your paying for. I am use to a big saw with no anti-vibe so not really a selling point for me but can see where some would love that.

disclaimer: I've used a 250, 270 and a 290, but I've never used a 361/362, so I'm going based off of what I've heard from others here, and the specs on the saw.

ouch 650-675 for the 362 is a bit to much for me to be honest

Mroverkill said:

yep at that point go with the 441....Keep it simple for no more than your going to be cutting.

Mroverkill said:
Like Jay said, the 270 or 290 will do the job for you. Do a search on the forum here for more opinions on which saws people are choosing and why. I know there are several threads specifically comparing those two saws. at some point, though, it's just a matter of making the move. I'm 99.9% sure you'll love either one....

ps, budget in for chaps, helmet, ear protection, eye protection, etc etc..... don't come posting back here with a new saw if you don't get those things, lol. You'd NEVER hear the end of it....

Danno77 said:
ps, budget in for chaps, helmet, ear protection, eye protection, etc etc..... don't come posting back here with a new saw if you don't get those things, lol. You'd NEVER hear the end of it....

+1 If your cutting on the ground (not felling) at-least chaps and boots.

whats ear/eye protection lolol

ear /eye protection steel toe redwings so just need a nice set of chaps lol

yea looked at a 250 but they didnt have a 290 in stock but i hear the 290's are heavy but i will see

Mroverkill said:
whats ear/eye protection lol

ear /eye protection steel toe redwings so just need a nice set of chaps lol

Sweeet! Welcome to the forum you should get along well...

Dont forget to check your local classifieds, Craigslist. Several nice saws seem to be coming up in my area, couple of 290's for sub $300.00. I really dont need a saw and Im still tempted (need to stop looking) :lol:

Mroverkill said:
oops sorry its my first year just bought a house putting on a quadrafire 4300 in in 2 weeks have my 25 ton splitter as of now i have 1.5 cords of wood ready and trying to have another 1.5 ready soon

im looking at a 18" bar if that helps at all im not sure how "big" you can cut with that

this year i might have to buy some seasoned wood and that should set up up for this year and what ever i save up this year and next ill will be ready

i dont know how much i am going to burn yet i am told 2 cords all the way to 4 cords so its going to be a wait and see

I run the stihl 310 (my 1st saw) and the stihl 390, the 310 will handle most of what I do.

zap

Being new to cutting sometimes it's better to go with the smaller saw and then get a larger model later if you need it, at that time you will have a much better idea what you need and more experience so you will be able to handle it better.

Tony,
How's your MS250 do with the 18" bar? I'm running a 16" with a Stihl yellow chain. I'm thinking of getting an 18" bar and chain down the road.

i have used saws before but never owned one to have myself

I bought the 270 this spring and have cut probably 3 cords so far. It's been working really well and I'm impressed. I ended up getting an 18 inch bar and have cut some pretty big (for my property anyway) beech and oak with no problems.

I'm not that big of a guy and the 290 was a bit heavier than I think I could run very long. The other selling point for me was the anti-vibe because of elbow problems.

I'd try to run both and see what feels best.

Mroverkill said:
looking for a chainsaw like the skihl line and like the 250 series was told to think of the 270 tell me what you think

I looked at those but with with the 311 instead. It was just about $500. It's got a more powerful motor and a wider blade. It also has the anti-vibration, which makes a big difference to me. It vibrates less than my little saw that has only half the displacement. And that de-compression plug is cool.

It is heavier, but it cuts so much faster I think I come out ahead. I recently cut up the last of a tree that fell on our property. I cut up in 10 minutes what would have taken over an hour with the other saw that I have.

I really don't cut that much wood, but I figured for how long it ought to last the price difference was only a few $ a year.

Love my 390...do about 5 chords a year. Fell, buck and rip with it. Was running a 25" bar just because I was a noob and I drooled. Ended up putting a 18" bar on it and it cuts so much better! Which ever saw you get, put a chisel chain on their (non safety) and it will cut so much better. Just be aware of kick back and get some chaps.

If the 290 is too heavy, how the hell are you gonna move the wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.