Increase firebox depth ~1 inch to fit insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fizile

Sep 26, 2022
ct
I'm looking to install a wood burning insert into my fireplace, but the specific model that meets my needs requires 19" fire box depth at 22" height, and I've only got 18.25".

Can I put on some sort of 1" fireproof tile on the face to get the depth I need? I'll need to keep the hearth depth within requirements so I couldn't go a whole brick thick. I may need to make adjustments to the surrounding breast plate for clearance as well so would have some flexibility on how to implement the extension.

Looking at the regency ci2700 - really like the performance and flush fit for my space. 2200sqft home, in New England. Complications from preparation for a geothermal system in the future has left me in need of an alternative heat source for the whole winter.

image.png PXL_20220915_215124141.jpg Screenshot_20220926-203803.png

Talk to your hearth shop. The surround for your insert can have the side returns extended to account for that needed inch. The shop I worked for did that all the time. We had a welder who was a good fabricator & we were able to get 1/8” steel late from a local steel distributor. The finished surround looks very good.

Reactions: fizile and Ashful