Incredible Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will only do Full relines on All pellet, Wood and Gas.
And we will not do a Direct vent pellet ither even if it cost me the sale of the stove.

I must not be charging enough because I can do a 25' of 4" pellet vent and install for under $900 labor and materials. This is using flex around the damper and Duravent the rest of the way with a chase cap to seal off the top of the chimney.

It is not that hard of a job or people that do it everyday.
About 3 hours at the most including cleaning the chimney, Setting up a wired or wireless thermostat, Showing them how to use and clean it out the stove and firing up the unit sticking around for the 20 minute start up cycle.
$300-$350 labor at the most plus materials.

guys, i totally see your point. thanks for the explanation. Wood and gas, there is no question on the liner situation. I think at this point, with my pellet customers, i will leave it up to them. good thread!

hearthtools said:
And we will not do a Direct vent pellet ither even if it cost me the sale of the stove.

I must not be charging enough because I can do a 25' of 4" pellet vent and install for under $900 labor and materials. This is using flex around the damper and Duravent the rest of the way with a chase cap to seal off the top of the chimney.

About 3 hours at the most including cleaning the chimney, Setting up a wired or wireless thermostat, Showing them how to use and clean it out the stove and firing up the unit sticking around for the 20 minute start up cycle.

I am often surprised at the regional differences in the cost of labor. We would charge about $600 to do a dirct connect. Only another $125 for a full reline. Of course, we deal mostly with cast iron and we spend more time in the home teaching the owner how to use the stove. It is rare that we can get two liner jobs in one day due to lots of travel time. But sometimes we are able to give a break if the job is really easy, like a ranch style house and a 15 foot chimney with 12 x 12 flue tiles. Most of the homes here are over 25 feet chimney with over 12/12 pitch roofs and many require scaffolding or hydraulic lifts. Also, the cost of living is a bit higher here than in many areas. All this contributes to higher labor rate. Your prices are fine if you are covering your costs and making a small profit. My point was that the cost of a full reline is not much more than that of a direct connect. Combined with the benefits of a full reline it made sense to discontinue all direct connects.

Sean

And my point here is, this guy is not getting a full reline for hearthtools 900 dollar job, or seans $725 dollar install. We are talking about some big bucks for the same work. If this thread was started with, hey this guy wants to charge be $600 bucks to do a complete reline, the first thing i would have said is go for it! It would be worth not having to hassle with anything. But we are talking in the thousands, and something is up. Would either of you spend in your own home $2000 for a liner install with all the goodies?

MountainStoveGuy said:
And my point here is, this guy is not getting a full reline for hearthtools 900 dollar job, or seans $725 dollar install. We are talking about some big bucks for the same work. If this thread was started with, hey this guy wants to charge be $600 bucks to do a complete reline, the first thing i would have said is go for it! It would be worth not having to hassle with anything. But we are talking in the thousands, and something is up. Would either of you spend in your own home $2000 for a liner install with all the goodies?

Maybe. It depends on what my needs are and what the requirements are for a safe installation. But I do agree with you. Something is up. If after they get some chimney pros out to the house they still come up with those numbers I will be surprised. I think the estimates over the phone are unrealistic. It's hard to imagine a pellet liner job going much over $1200, materials inclusive.

Sean

seaken said:
hearthtools said:

I am often surprised at the regional differences in the cost of labor. We would charge about $600 to do a dirct connect. Only another $125 for a full reline. Of course, we deal mostly with cast iron and we spend more time in the home teaching the owner how to use the stove. It is rare that we can get two liner jobs in one day due to lots of travel time. But sometimes we are able to give a break if the job is really easy, like a ranch style house and a 15 foot chimney with 12 x 12 flue tiles. Most of the homes here are over 25 feet chimney with over 12/12 pitch roofs and many require scaffolding or hydraulic lifts. Also, the cost of living is a bit higher here than in many areas. All this contributes to higher labor rate. Your prices are fine if you are covering your costs and making a small profit. My point was that the cost of a full reline is not much more than that of a direct connect. Combined with the benefits of a full reline it made sense to discontinue all direct connects.

Sean

No poking at you but just trying to see if I do need to rase my labor

Are you paying your guys $60 per hour?
$600 Labor for a 3 hour job seems high.

Average shop Labor here is $55 - $65 per hour
average pay for installers is $9 -$15 per hour.

Cost of living is about the same here.
A average home is in the $400,000

hearthtools said:
seaken said:
hearthtools said:

Sean

No poking at you but just trying to see if I do need to rase my labor

Are you paying your guys $60 per hour?
$600 Labor for a 3 hour job seems high.

Average shop Labor here is $55 - $65 per hour
average pay for installers is $9 -$15 per hour.

Cost of living is about the same here.
A average home is in the $400,000

MSG, okay.

Rod, I'll meet you over at the Industry forum.

Sean

I am really flattered that my original post has got so much discussion going.
I also wish some of you guys lived closer to me so I could hire you to do my re Line. I would not hesitate in paying you the prices you are quoting. In fact I would probably give a Handsome Tip.
Thanks all again.
Camdids

Status
Not open for further replies.