Indoor firewood bin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake, that wood box you made and linked to is terrific! It's precisely the sort of "finish detail" I really like to see. And if more guys paid attention to the "details" and mess containment there'd be a lot less wifely grumbling about "wood heat"... at least this member of the sisterhood thinks so! The good man will have a fit if I ask him to make one for me; best not to even "go there" at this time, lol. I am a novice tool user, but a seamstress by trade. I know how to assess a project, plan it out, and then patiently work through it... would something like that wood box be an appropriate "beginner" project?

I cracked up at the comment about installing a CO2 detector and the "dead cats", too. Lol.

NATE379 said:
Are you able to carry the rubbermaid tub?

I built my wooden box with handles with the intent to carry it in and out, but I quickly realized that it could hold more wood than I could lift without throwing out my back!

I wanted something to be able to load outside to keep the mess down.
That's why I like my rectangular kitty litter buckets so much. I can handle the weight of one bucket fully loaded- sometimes they are pretty heavy, too. Depends on the wood type.

If I ever decide to clean up my act, I'll also build an attractive wooden box. They look pretty good, and you can build them anywhere from 'rustic' to 'really fancy', to suit taste. ;-)

Bobbin said:
Jake, that wood box you made and linked to is terrific! It's precisely the sort of "finish detail" I really like to see. And if more guys paid attention to the "details" and mess containment there'd be a lot less wifely grumbling about "wood heat"... at least this member of the sisterhood thinks so! The good man will have a fit if I ask him to make one for me; best not to even "go there" at this time, lol. I am a novice tool user, but a seamstress by trade. I know how to assess a project, plan it out, and then patiently work through it... would something like that wood box be an appropriate "beginner" project?

I cracked up at the comment about installing a CO2 detector and the "dead cats", too. Lol.

Trust me on this one Bobbin' -- I'm not much of a carpenter. This is pretty rustic in my own opinion . . . thank goodness for tongue-and-groove boards and trim is all I can say since it covers a host of issues. I would say if you can hold a hammer, run a saw and use a screw gun you should be able to put something like this together in an afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.