Info on and Antique Lange Svendborg 6203

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sheafromme

May 29, 2020
ME
Hi,
I've had this Lange Svendborg 6203BR (I think that's what it is) in my basement for years. I replaced it with a Vermont Castings when I realized the burn plates were bending ;sick .... and it just wasn't big enough for my house. I know almost nothing about it but was wondering if you all had any more info on it? I'm considering selling it if it's worth something but really if it was straightforward to replace the burn plates I'd certainly refurb and put it in my living room as it is quite the gorgeous piece in my opinion. I believe the outer coating is enamel but other than that I know almost nothing. There aren't any cracks or missing enamel or rust; in fact, most of the visible damage is the bent burn plates. Let me know what you think!
Thank you in advance!
Overview.jpeg

Lange made good stoves. That is a nice green enamel model. It looks great. The burn plates are sacrificial and will eventually crack. They can still be used a bit more if the cracking is not serious, but should be replaced when the crack starts to warp the plate.

If the stove is almost big enough, maybe look at ways to reduce heat loss from the house and tighten things up this summer?

Reactions: sheafromme
Lange made good stoves. That is a nice green enamel model. It looks great. The burn plates are sacrificial and will eventually crack. They can still be used a bit more if the cracking is not serious, but should be replaced when the crack starts to warp the plate.

If the stove is almost big enough, maybe look at ways to reduce heat loss from the house and tighten things up this summer?
Thank you for the response! The burn plates are a bit warped and certainly cracked (as far as I know they're the originals!) but the price on Woodman's is actually not bad. Do you know how straightforward it is to replace them? I've never serviced a stove myself.

I think they just hang on a pair of tabs sticking out from the sides. The tabs have a hole in them for a large cotter pin which keeps the plate from falling off the tabs. Post some pictures of the stove interior for verification.

I think they just hang on a pair of tabs sticking out from the sides. The tabs have a hole in them for a large cotter pin which keeps the plate from falling off the tabs. Post some pictures of the stove interior for verification.
Hmm I definitely see the tabs and pins you were referring to, looks like they're mostly still intact. A lot more rusty than I remember and the plates are way worse, strange what a decade will do to your memory! Any suggestions on where one should start in terms of dealing with the rust. It's mostly surface rust but I definitely want to deal with it.
Inside.jpeg

I wouldn't worry about the interior rust. Heat accelerates oxidation. If the basement is a bit dank that could contribute. You could wire brush it down, but it's not necessary.

I wouldn't worry about the interior rust. Heat accelerates oxidation. If the basement is a bit dank that could contribute. You could wire brush it down, but it's not necessary.
Oh ok phew, I was worried it was a much more major problem. One other quick question, you mentioned in your first reply that I should consider buttoning up the house a bit more this winter since the stove is almost big enough. Can you think of any obvious places to start with that? Fortunately my house isn't too drafty but I'd definitely be willing to do a bit more work on that.
Thanks again

Improving attic insulation helps. Is there a basement or is the house on a slab or crawlspace? If crawlspace, that can be a source of cold infiltration. Other than that, closing off unused rooms, insulated curtains or cellular blinds on large windows can help.