Insert hot plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
My insert sticks out 6" into the room past the lintle. I'd like to put a humidifier and cook chile, soup etc. on top like I used to when I had a free stander in a different life. I'm contemplating rigging up a metal plate that sits directly on the stove top, wedged between the stove top and the insert shroud. Figure, about 10" across, and long enough to go back between the top and the shroud. Would stick out about 4" further than currently. Any opinions or thoughts?

My insert sticks out 6" into the room past the lintle. I'd like to put a humidifier and cook chile, soup etc. on top like I used to when I had a free stander in a different life. I'm contemplating rigging up a metal plate that sits directly on the stove top, wedged between the stove top and the insert shroud. Figure, about 10" across, and long enough to go back between the top and the shroud. Would stick out about 4" further than currently. Any opinions or thoughts?
I'm having the same thought. Did you ever try this? How did it work out? What insert do you have? I'm trying to decide which one to purchase, and I want one that I can cook a pot of soup on in my grams cast iron Dutch oven.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, never got around to it. Too many projects, not enough time and energy. My insert is essentially the Drolet 1800i. Not great for what you're looking to do, without some modification/fabrication. One day!