Insert Install DIY advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

borland2000

Oct 30, 2009
portland,me
Hi all,
Im picking up my Classic Bay 1200i tomorrow and looking to install it this weekend w/ some friends. I think I have all the parts and stuff; but I want to make sure I know what Im doing. Im seeing if anyone has any more tips.
My liner is 4" ss that i bought on ebay (flexpro - hope its good- looks fine). Im going to drop the liner down, put the rain cap on. At the bottom throw in some ceramic wool insulation around the pipe and just put the stove in the fireplace. And at all joints im going to put high heat silicon.
Does this sound about right?

Does this mean once the pellet stove is in; its not really ever coming out (how could it if the joints are siliconed?)
Thanks for any tips,
Jeff

borland2000 said:
Hi all,
Im picking up my Classic Bay 1200i tomorrow and looking to install it this weekend w/ some friends. I think I have all the parts and stuff; but I want to make sure I know what Im doing. Im seeing if anyone has any more tips.
My liner is 4" ss that i bought on ebay (flexpro - hope its good- looks fine). Im going to drop the liner down, put the rain cap on. At the bottom throw in some ceramic wool insulation around the pipe and just put the stove in the fireplace. And at all joints im going to put high heat silicon.
Does this sound about right?

Does this mean once the pellet stove is in; its not really ever coming out (how could it if the joints are siliconed?)
Thanks for any tips,
Jeff

Throw a "T" fitting on the exhaust outlet so you can clean it out. You are gonna have to pull it apart once or twice a season minimum to clean the flue. Depends on the stove & the pellets.........maybe more cleaning or maybe less. Inserts require a bit more maint. then freestanding units. You WILL have to clean & re silicone the pipes... it just is something that you have to do.

Tom in Oh

The exhaust for the stove is vertical; I thought I would just connect the liner directly into the stove w/o a t. What does the t accomplish?
But Im correct, once the unit is in I dont need to take that out for cleaning - that sounds ridiculous.
thanks for the help,
im excited to get this in,
j

Make sure the "cap" you put on includes a top plate to block off the top of the flue. Toss some ceramic blanket around the liner at the top under the plate. You;ll create a dead air space which acts as a great insulator and that will keep your vent warm ftwpwnzorz

borland2000 said:
The exhaust for the stove is vertical; I thought I would just connect the liner directly into the stove w/o a t. What does the t accomplish?
But Im correct, once the unit is in I dont need to take that out for cleaning - that sounds ridiculous.
thanks for the help,
im excited to get this in,
j

If you don't use a "T" any ash that accumulates in the flue will fall to the bend where you have the SS liner coupled to the stove & will impede air flow eventually. Using a "T" allows this ash to fall & collect below the bend, keeping the flue open.

You will have to pull the insert partially out & clean the flue & combustion blower out periodically.

If you don't, the stove will not function properly & you'll get a lazy flame, lots of ash, & unburned pellets in the firebox as the flue gets partially blocked due to the ash buildup.

Pellet stoves are great, but they do need to be properly cleaned & maintained to be trouble free.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.