Insert install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burnlife308

Nov 2, 2021
Canada
Hello first time poster I am looking to install a Osburn 2400 insert. I plan on getting it WETT certified after installation. In the manual it states I need 20" hearth extension from face of fireplace for over 6 ft² opening. I have 6.4 ft² opening and only 18" hearth extension.

Can those 2 inches be added to floor protection calculation to pass WETT ?
Will the inspector catch that 2 inch difference? Are those industry standard measurements so no insert will work
? Lastly what options do I have if I need to extend the hearth front?

Thanks Bob
Screenshot_20211102-153735.png

Yes, I would expect a good WETT inspector to catch this. The 20" is to cover the amount that the insert projects past the face of the fireplace. If this is a big issue, then a flush fireplace may be a better solution. If you can post a picture of the fireplace and hearth we can see better what options there are.

That 20” is not in the The section on floor protection and is a separate requirement from floor protection. Where they are giving fireplace opening area that seems to have nothing to do with an insert and more to do with fireplace construction code compliance.

I have read several manuals and that reference to 20” for areas over 6sq ft is one I have not seen. It is not present in the old Drolet 1800i or new 1800i or the new Osborne 2000 insert.

I imagine that the referenced 20” is now just stated in the 7.1 section from the the new 2000 insert manual.

Short story. I’m guessing your current fireplace doesn’t meet The code. Neither of mine would meet that. Adding an insert with floor protection per the manual requirements will make it safer. No clue what the inspector will say. But I’d lean to if you have everything else by the book this will not be a deal breaker.

Edit— is area listed in ft^2 a clue???

BD20CFCA-2EAC-401E-AE39-384CA3067776.png

Screenshot_20211102-211928.png

That 20” is not in the The section on floor protection and is a separate requirement from floor protection. Where they are giving fireplace opening area that seems to have nothing to do with an insert and more to do with fireplace construction code compliance.

I have read several manuals and that reference to 20” for areas over 6sq ft is one I have not seen. It is not present in the old Drolet 1800i or new 1800i or the new Osborne 2000 insert.

I imagine that the referenced 20” is now just stated in the 7.1 section from the the new 2000 insert manual.

Short story. I’m guessing your current fireplace doesn’t meet The code. Neither of mine would meet that. Adding an insert with floor protection per the manual requirements will make it safer. No clue what the inspector will say. But I’d lean to if you have everything else by the book this will not be a deal breaker.

Edit— is area listed in ft^2 a clue???

View attachment 284622
The part that confuses me is that the insert can sit between 3 3/4" to 7" past face and not needing to change extension just floor protection. Just needing in Canada floor protection 18" out from door. Screenshot_20211102-211940.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would expect a good WETT inspector to catch this. The 20" is to cover the amount that the insert projects past the face of the fireplace. If this is a big issue, then a flush fireplace may be a better solution. If you can post a picture of the fireplace and hearth we can see better what options there are.
Dimensions are 29" h x 33" w x 33" d
PXL_20211103_012335575.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally SBI has good documentation, but this time someone at SBI went a bit overboard with the rules book and provided too much detail. That hearth is high enough that only ember protection is needed at floor level for the 2400. This could be as simple as a strip of 4" metal or a single wide row of brick. You can refer to figure 2.6 b which indicates only a non-combustible hearth extension is required here. The manual text states:
If a non-combustible material floor protection needs to be added in front and level with the hearth extension masonry fireplace (see Figure 2.6a), an R factor equal to or greater than 1.00 is required. If the extension of the masonry hearth is raised at least 4" from the floor protection (see Figure 2.6b), a non-combustible material without an R factor is sufficient.

Last edited: