Insert liner falling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jedi

Nov 9, 2022
Maryland
Last night after about 1-2 hours of the fire going, I heard a very load clank noise as if someone dropped a tool on metal. I checked the insert and everything seemed fine. The fire didn't look any different. This morning when I'm going to reload and open the door I see this through the side.

It seems the liner is breaking apart?! Or loose? I already notified the dealer via email, but want to hear from the pros here. What should I expect them to tell me or do? Should they remove the whole insert and replace the liner? Inspect from the roof?

This is a brand new Ashford 25 insert and liner installed in Feb 1st. I've only been burning dry wood.

IMG_20230320_083221082.jpg IMG_20230320_083213255.jpg

@BKVP

I’m wondering if they used a furnace cement to seal the stove collar to the liner, or maybe something from the chimney was knocked loose when the liner was installed?

Looks like it's probably a cut off piece they left in there but it should be checked out

Dealer/installer is coming tomorrow to check. They said the same as @bholler that they suspect it's scrap metal from when they cut the liner that got stuck at the top and last night it fell down the chimney.

Sounds about right. You can sort of see where it was cut with a tool.

BKVP

You were all right.

The dealer did a great job today. The dealer sent thier most experienced installer/service tech to check. He moved the insert and removed the liner debris from the firebox. He also went to the roof, removed the cap, and the installers (different crew from today) had used scrap pieces of the liner to center the liner for the cap, and those scrap pieces were starting to get loose and fall. He told me that the proper way to center the liner while placing the cap is to use roxul insulation and not liner scraps. He finished by resealing the cap with caulk.
Then he verified the thermostat and cat converter to be good amd called it a day.

Thanks everyone.

You were all right.

The dealer did a great job today. The dealer sent thier most experienced installer/service tech to check. He moved the insert and removed the liner debris from the firebox. He also went to the roof, removed the cap, and the installers (different crew from today) had used scrap pieces of the liner to center the liner for the cap, and those scrap pieces were starting to get loose and fall. He told me that the proper way to center the liner while placing the cap is to use roxul insulation and not liner scraps. He finished by resealing the cap with caulk.
Then he verified the thermostat and cat converter to be good amd called it a day.

Thanks everyone.
So clearly no blockoff plate or even insulation at the bottom. Is the liner insulated?

So clearly no blockoff plate or even insulation at the bottom. Is the liner insulated?
Yes, its an insulated liner. The liner pieces he showed me had insulation. Correct, no blockoff plate or added insulation in the bottom. I asked for it during installation but they said it wasn't needed

Yes, its an insulated liner. The liner pieces he showed me had insulation. Correct, no blockoff plate or added insulation in the bottom. I asked for it during installation but they said it wasn't needed

It's not needed but the stove will heat the house much better with a block off plate.

Reactions: Jedi
I know. Something I'll have to do myself eventually.
Is this an exterior wall fireplace? That's where a block-off place will show the most improvement. If there is room for some kaowool blanket behind the insert, that helps reduce heat loss to the outside too.

It's an interior fireplace. Smack in the middle of the house.
Great news, great dealer service...pleased homeowner!

It's an interior fireplace. Smack in the middle of the house.
Then the benefits of a block-off plate are less. If the chimney masonry is exposed in the interior of the house, it will slowly release heat over time. Sounds like you have been well taken care of. Enjoy the new insert!

Then the benefits of a block-off plate are less. If the chimney masonry is exposed in the interior of the house, it will slowly release heat over time. Sounds like you have been well taken care of. Enjoy the new insert!
Im sure it still helps a little. I once went to the attic (single story home) and the brick of the chimney in the attic was warm. So either the insulated liner still looses heat or/and the insert box looses heat up the chimney. I have no need to heat up my attic.

Im sure it still helps a little. I once went to the attic (single story home) and the brick of the chimney in the attic was warm. So either the insulated liner still looses heat or/and the insert box looses heat up the chimney. I have no need to heat up my attic.
Yes, it will help keep the heat in the room a bit more.