Insert or stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

Nov 8, 2008
northern VT
My wife and I have a double wide (28x70) in northern Vermont. It has an FMI prefab wood burning fireplace. I get all the firewood I want for free so We are looking to heat our house with wood.I am undecided on which way to go,insert or stove.I am looking for any input on either one. Is one really any better than the other? I like the soapstone hearth stoves but they are pretty pricey. I want to tie whichever one I get into the existing chimney .Any advice or suggestions wood be appreciated

I don't think an insert or hearth stove is going to be on the menu for you. FMI absolutely forbids the installation of any insert that hasn't been specifically tested and listed for use with their fireplaces. You might be able to find an insert manufacturer that has done that testing and acquired that specific listing, but I've never seen one. Here's a cut-and-paste from an FMI manual:

WARNING: Do not install a fireplace insert in this box unless the manufacturer's instructions with the insert specifically state this fireplace has been tested for use with this insert.

Even a hearth stove that sits outside the fireplace and vents backward into the FMI chimney won't probably be possible: today's airtight wood-burners require insulated, type HT chimneys, and FMI fireplaces use air-cooled chimney.

Here's a couple of options you might consider:

Install a free-standing stove and HT chimney system somewhere else in the home.

Tear out the FMI fireplace and chimney and install a high-efficiency heater-rated fireplace and chimney system in its place, such as the BIS ULTIMA, which may be viewed at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/0canwood.htm

I have also seen heat exchangers (hearth heaters) that replace the grate in the fireplace. Are these even worth a look?

Look at the Regency i1200 insert. It makes for an easy install to a pre-fab fireplace. It has a flue collar that detaches from the body of the stove, making it easier to get into the fireplace.

Stoveguy: like PE, Regency has a "blanket" approval for installation in zero clearance fireplaces. However, this isn't the specific listing FMI requires. The insert's installation manual must list FMI fireplace models specifically to satisfy FMI's requirements.

Nate, in our experience those "grate" heaters are not great heaters. The wood still burns up just as fast as Mother Nature allows, and a large percentage of the heated air that blows out through the tubes is sucked right back into the fireplace by the chimney updraft.

Chimney sweep, what about quad do they just have a blanket listing?

I am reading the manual for my Country ( Lennox) insert, and it states
the C160 insert can only be installed in the following brands of factory built zero clearance fireplaces
Heatilator
Superior
Majestic
Martin
Preway
Marco
Temco
FMI

Country make 2 models for ZC fireplaces the C160 and C230, I have the C160 in my ZC Majestic

Yup, as blanket as a fleece-filled comforter:

The Quadra-Fire 3100-I ACT Wood Stove Insert is listed to
UL 1482 Standard and approved for installation into listed
factory built zero clearance fireplaces listed to UL 127 conforming
to the following specifications and instructions........

Basically, Quad is saying the same thing Regency, PE, Travis, Etc. are saying: they have no problem with installing their models into manufactured fireplaces.

FMI is saying they DO have a problem with insert installations into their fireplaces, unless the insert manufacturer specifically tests and lists their insert for installation in FMI fireplaces.

We used to see specific listings in insert owner's manuals that looked something like this:

Approved for installation in the following manufactured fireplaces:
Heatilator XXX, YYYY, ZZZ
Superior AAA, BBBBB, C
Majestic WWW, XX

This specific listing, which no doubt cost a few testing sponduits, seems to have fallen into disfavor in recent years: it has been awhile since I saw anything but a blanket listing for manufactured fireplaces. FMI is undoubtedly aware of this trend, so in effect, what they're saying is: Don't put an insert in this fireplace.

[edit] Elder and I were typing at the same time. It seems a Country insert would be an option for you. There might be others, too: just be sure and look for wording like that shown above in the Country manual.

Tom , Ihave a fmi and a stove shop installed my 3100i into it with full length wrapped liner, is this install dangerous , should I be worried ?

But should I be worried? Anything I should be looking for besides smoke ?

Man, I just can't make this call for you. A quarter-century in this business has taught me to play by the book, and I always advise others to do the same. Your stove shop is evidently comfortable with your install: maybe you should have a chat with them about their experience with inserts in FMI fireplaces.

Is it possible to run Supervent double wall 6 inch chimney up through the existing flue in one of these pre fab fireplaces? My dad has a double wide with a pre fab WBFP and wants either an insert(which sounds outta the question for such a small fireplace) or a woodburner freestanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.