Insert recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker25

Mar 18, 2013
Hi all,
Newbie here and I am in the process of deciding what insert to install in my house. I live in eastern Long Island, house is a traditional cape with block wall construction. Windows are replacement and still a little drafty. House is about 1700 sq. ft.. There is an enclosed breezeway attached to the right side of the main house which is where the fireplace is. This room is about 150 sq.ft. This room is very cold as it has two large windows, two exterior doors, a wall of brick and the only source of heat is an electric baseboard. This room is 2 ft lower then the main house and their is a 3ft opening with french doors that lead into the main part of the house(the kitchen). I am looking to heat this room, and a good portion of the lower level as this is the main living area (kitchen and living room). The living room is off the kitchen with a 6ft opening. Current fireplace opening is 32 1/2" wide by 29" high. I have been doing some research and was looking for some input on what size stove to go with, brand, and if I am going to have a problem with circulating the heat into the main part of the house. I am looking for something middle of the road with a solid name, variable speed blower and long burn time. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome Parker. By the description I think you can expect reasonably good convection with the french doors open. There is a trick with a simple table fan that can assist if need be. As for inserts, what style are you thinking of, basic, classic or contemporary? We will need more dimensions to verify fit. We need front height and width and back height and width and depth at top and bottom. Pictures help a lot if there are clearance questions.

In the meantime, while window shopping take a look at the Enviro Kodiak and Boston (or Venice) 1700 line. http://www.enviro.com/fireplace-products/wood/fireplace-insert.html#bostonbig

Reactions: Ashful
Breezeway? And 150 sq ft? Is this enclosed, insulated and draft free? And can you put an appropriate height chimney in this area?

Otherwise, I would put the unit within the living area for two reasons (probably more). Heat the area where you are living and enjoy the view of the fire.

It's an enclosed breezeway. Consider a 12 x 13' room that is 2ft lower then the rest of the house. 2 walls are exterior with two doors and a big window. Definentely drafty and the only heat is a 6ft electric baseboard that we turn on only when we use the room. There is already a fireplace in this room and this is where the insert will go.

Check out the Regency "Hampton HI300". Love mine, installed Dec 2012, Northern NJ, similar weather to you. I was able to keep my 2300 sq ft colonial at about 65 degrees with it, but I usually keep several of the bedrooms upstairs closed as they are unused most of the time. I went from burning 5 gallons of heating oil per day in the heart of winter to about 3 quarts per day. I went all out and got the brown enamel covered iron, including an oversized surround since the top of my fireplace opening was arched. Worth the extra bucks in my opinion if you can swing it.

It's an enclosed breezeway. Consider a 12 x 13' room that is 2ft lower then the rest of the house. 2 walls are exterior with two doors and a big window. Definentely drafty and the only heat is a 6ft electric baseboard that we turn on only when we use the room. There is already a fireplace in this room and this is where the insert will go.

then i would not anticipate heating the rest of the home via the breezeway - as the heat loss will probably be significant - the heat gain with the addition of a wood stove will not be sufficient to heat the home...

I think there will probably be a lot of days where the excess heat will spill into the other rooms. This may not be a place you want to hang out during zero degree weather, but when it's in the 20's or higher the insert may be able to share some heat. Add some insulating curtains or shades and it might may be comfy even when it's colder outside.

What is the floor in this space, slab? If so, that is also a big heat sink.

That is better than straight slab. If it is drafty, fix the leaks. Then I would consider some insulated roman shades or honeycomb blinds in tracks to insulate the windows. That will help make it more comfortable regardless of heat source.
http://www.1windowquilts.com/
http://symphonyshades.com/rvalue.html

A good stove or insert is going to be putting out about 40-50,000 btus/hr. or more depending on the size of the insert and size of the wood load. I'd wager that is significantly more than the baseboard heaters in the room. A pair of 8ft electric baseboard heaters will be putting out about 12-16,000 btus for comparison. What is in there now and how well do they heat the room?

That is better than straight slab. If it is drafty, fix the leaks. Then I would consider some insulated roman shades or honeycomb blinds in tracks to insulate the windows. That will help make it more comfortable regardless of heat source.
http://www.1windowquilts.com/
http://symphonyshades.com/rvalue.html

A good stove or insert is going to be putting out about 40-50,000 btus/hr. or more depending on the size of the insert and size of the wood load. I'd wager that is significantly more than the baseboard heaters in the room. A pair of 8ft electric baseboard heaters will be putting out about 12-16,000 btus for comparison. What is in there now and how well do they heat the room?
Right now I have a 6ft piece of electric baseboard. We only turn it on when we use the room which is maybe once a week. My intention is to heat the main living area which is off this room via a 3ft opening. Right now I think a lot of the heat from the main living area is being sucked into this room, so I think by installing an insert I will be able to not only heat this room, but also the kitchen and living room. I was looking at the Osburn 2000.

That should do the job. You might also want to look at the Pacific Energy Pacific Super for comparison. It has a bit more stove projecting into the room which is helpful during power outages as the stove convects better. The Enviro is a bit larger and has some good looking surround and door options.

Status
Not open for further replies.