Insert Replace Options - Opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
Hello - I realized this is discussed often, but need to replace a failing Regency I3100L.

I have a great deal of firewood cut approximately 18" wide, but a few are longer. The Regency I3100L can accommodate up to a 20" log.

Regency no longer makes an insert with a firebox of 2.9cu ft that can handle the size I have my wood cut to. The dealer says that he expects at best Regency to come back and offer a smaller 2450 in response to the warranty claim.

So I'm looking ahead and thinking I might be forced into another unit. BK Princess 29 and PE Summit LE seem to be candidates.

Two questions:

1) It appears the Princess 29 CAN NOT be chimney swept from the bottom up and that the Summit LE CAN BE chimney swept from bottom up. The chimney if about 33' and it would be an added expense for me to have it swept top to bottom.

2) Any other QUALITY candidates that could accommodate the cut log size I have, 18" average with an occasional 20".

Really hoping Regency stands behind the unit.

Always appreciate the help in the forum.

20220225_170707.jpg

Hello - I realized this is discussed often, but need to replace a failing Regency I3100L.

I have a great deal of firewood cut approximately 18" wide, but a few are longer. The Regency I3100L can accommodate up to a 20" log.

Regency no longer makes an insert with a firebox of 2.9cu ft that can handle the size I have my wood cut to. The dealer says that he expects at best Regency to come back and offer a smaller 2450 in response to the warranty claim.

So I'm looking ahead and thinking I might be forced into another unit. BK Princess 29 and PE Summit LE seem to be candidates.

Two questions:

1) It appears the Princess 29 CAN NOT be chimney swept from the bottom up and that the Summit LE CAN BE chimney swept from bottom up. The chimney if about 33' and it would be an added expense for me to have it swept top to bottom.

2) Any other QUALITY candidates that could accommodate the cut log size I have, 18" average with an occasional 20".

Really hoping Regency stands behind the unit.

Always appreciate the help in the forum.

View attachment 292952
The princess can be swept from inside with a rotary cleaner. And the 33' tall chimney is the reason your stove cracked it was over drafting. I would have put a damper in one that tall.

And if you have all the required info regency will honor the warranty. I am just not sure what they will offer you.

The princess can be swept from inside with a rotary cleaner. And the 33' tall chimney is the reason your stove cracked it was over drafting. I would have put a damper in one that tall.

And if you have all the required info regency will honor the warranty. I am just not sure what they will offer you.
I have always kept a good eye on the temperature ran the plan on high when the temperature was up.

I do not have the receipt so not entirely sure what regency will do. Getting burnt on a technicality would be hard to swallow. I have pictures of the unit going in, pictures of the delivery from the dealer and the dealer crew installing it.

I have cleaned out my flu by using a flexible rotary driven device. Waiting to hear from regency not sure how long that take. We were vigilant about not overfiring. Ran the fan accordingly and choked down as necessary.

Not even sure how you would do that as it's an insert.
It ran wonderfully. Would never run away into ridiculously hot temperatures. For full loads at night we would turn the fan on high.

With a digital probe.
Based on the parameters, I wouldn't put in an easy-breathing stove like the Summit without rigging a key damper above the flue collar.

With a digital probe.
Based on the parameters, I wouldn't put in an easy-breathing stove like the Summit without rigging a key damper above the flue collar.
Any other suggestions? I was thinking the blaze king princess 29. Is that also an easy breathing unit that might great problems?

I drilled the appliance adapter and through the liner. Removed baffle and installed with an extra fender washer between the liner and the damper because I had the spring version. Have a pic on another thread about a Drolet 1800. Search for insert damper and you can see how one was modified to extend through the surround.

Blaze King has very specific draft parameters for their stoves. Too strong draft can be an issue.

I will have to take pics of the next damper mechanism I make. It usually involves a couple u joints made for sockets and welding 1/4" square rod to them etc.