Insert/Stove for Triangle Shaped Fireplace in Mid Century Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MidCenturyFire

Sep 5, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Hi Everyone

Have been a long time viewer of the forums, but this is my fist post. Had an insert and two pellet stoves in our last home (5000sqft gothic colonial), but are now in a mid-century home . It has lots of glass in the main room, which in the mid Atlantic can be expensive to heat and would love to get an insert or wood stove again, but am struggling with what to do as the fireplaces are unique.

The fireplace has a unique triangle shape and a concrete pedestal. Have looked into removing the concrete and putting a freestanding stove in, the MFFire can fit as it is <33” high and has a rear vent that i can use and put an elbow to go up the flu with a liner. , but wanted to see if others had better ideas. Ideally there would be a long and short stove that i could put on top of the concrete so i don't’ have to modify the fireplace.

Have attached a picture of the fireplace and hand drawing of dimensions. If anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas please let me know!

Thanks!

9FC0517E-BFDE-40F2-B927-10D1E8EE0425.jpeg9415BB8A-C24B-4C19-90AE-5E06CE606531.jpeg

Is the 20" from the pedestal to the lintel or from the hearth floor to the lintel? If the latter, then the pedestal may need to be removed. It's an odd setup, and the 20" height will restrict some models, but maybe an insert without the surround would work.

I would remove the concrete then find an insert and trim or get a custom the surround to fit inside the angled opening.

20 “ height will be really limiting. And don’t go lower than 2.0 cu ft.

Is it an exterior or interior chimney? I would only do a stove if it was interior. To much heat loss to the exterior. You can easily insulate if its an insert.

Unless you have some attachment to it, I'd be thinking jackhammer. It's an odd setup, and while you could make it work, will you be happy with the money and effort put to that end?

Reactions: moresnow
Thanks all. It is an exterior chimney, great point on heat loss with a stove vs. insert. Agree modifying it would definitely change it and costs would not be insignificant. Have a quote for $3500 to remove the concrete, line, and install a freestanding stove. Will have to look at insert and custom trim as well thinking of the insulation comment.

Thanks all. It is an exterior chimney, great point on heat loss with a stove vs. insert. Agree modifying it would definitely change it and costs would not be insignificant. Have a quote for $3500 to remove the concrete, line, and install a freestanding stove. Will have to look at insert and custom trim as well thinking of the insulation comment.
Personally I would try to work with the design of the fireplace if at all possible. Probably remove the concrete and go with an insert with modified surround

Reactions: MidCenturyFire
Make sure either way you get a block off plate. I ran a season or two without one and they make a big difference. General recommendation is to go with insulated liner. It assures your install is code compliant. Yours might be but most verging on all are not.

Generally I think less is more and really try to work with the original design as much as possible. Having the fire up higher might be something you want to explore some inserts are installed on a course of bricks. Reminds me. (Height from floor changes whether or not the hearth extension needs R value insulation or just ember protection for some inserts).

What is the hearth extension? any combustibles under it? If you demo the arch the insert will be level with floor might/probably will need R value rated hearth. Not a big deal if the existing hearth extension is not installed on combustibles.

Reactions: MidCenturyFire