Insert suggestions for odd fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobd1001

Oct 11, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have been scouring the forums learning as much as possible, and am ready to make the leap into wood burning stoves. My conundrum is we have an odd fireplace. It looks to have originally been a heatilator type, but was built out into the room about about an extra foot. The height to the top of the firebox (lentil?) is only 26in, and given the depth (36in), there doesn't look to be any way to get a typical insert with the top vent pipe installed. The damper is also definitely and obstacle, I imagine I will have to cut this in order to get the insulated stainless liner through. I am a contractor, so while I'm very experienced with construction and masonry, fireplaces and wood stoves are somewhat foreign to me. Any suggestions on wood stove inserts that might fit this unique situation, or other possible solutions to fit a more standard insert would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures below for added insight (the propane log set is just for looks, its never been used since we've lived here):

20221011_093204.jpg20221011_093157.jpg20221011_093151.jpg20221011_181217.jpg

It would be good to get a pro inspection to determine what is there. If it is a heatform style fireplace there may be an insert that will work.

Reactions: Bobd1001
It would be good to get a pro inspection to determine what is there. If it is a heatform style fireplace there may be an insert that will work.
Thank you, I should have mentioned I have a professional Chimney service and wood stove installer coming out mid november to do an inspection and give me a quote for them doing an install. You may have nailed it with the heatform name, that looks nearly identical to the firebox in there.

While this may not be in response to your install... I always recommend that if you are considering an insert, please start to gather wood now. It makes a huge difference to new burners having truly dried wood. Get 2 cords split and stacked now if you haven't already.

While this may not be in response to your install... I always recommend that if you are considering an insert, please start to gather wood now. It makes a huge difference to new burners having truly dried wood. Get 2 cords split and stacked now if you haven't already.
Very good tip! Luckily my buddy has a near-literal mountain of nicely dried wood that I have free access to as much as I need.