Insert Surround Thickness?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cdcarter82

Sep 30, 2014
Magnolia, DE
I am in the midst of installing a TN20 wood insert, and need to make a custom surround for the stove. The masnory fireplace it is going into has as arch top, so I am matching the arch on the surround. I know it doesn't need to really do anything other than being decorative, but what thickness should be used? Would like the steel to be rigid and not flexible, and since its going to be a flat sheet rather than have bent edges, etc, was looking for a bit of advice. 1/16"? 10 gauge?

I think Drolet’s trimable surround is 18 ga. That seems a bit thin to me but it would be easy to cut. I agree with wanting something flat. Making a frame or adding stiffeners would help keeping it flat.

I would use something more like 1/8" thickness. 1/16" might be a little too flimsy
& any harmonic vibration from a blower might be annoying when the motor
is powered...

Yes most are about 18 gauge. Some 16

Bending a 3/8" or 1/2" edge at 90º will stiffen the sheet considerably. A good metal shop could do this for you. In that case 20ga. would suffice.