insert surround yes or no

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepp

Aug 8, 2008
ct
hello all i3100 regency installed
about 2 weeks ago so far so good i'am happy
wife does not like the surround did not put it on will this affect insert or heat heat out put is great
house staying warm 75-80 room with insert other rooms 68-71 keeping insert temps 275-400 did not crank it up yet
installer said its only for looks is this true just wanted to get some feed back
thanks for any info great site and forums learned alot

Is it an interior chimney? Most people here recommend a block of plate above the stove, especially for exterior chimneys, and also insulation between the insert and the exterior walls. As for the surround I didn't install one in my fireplace and cut a vent in the wall just below the ceiling so air circulates around the insert, up the chimney and re-enters the room at the ceiling through the 6" x 6" vent. Air coming through that vent is up to 200F at the peak of the burn cycle.

In my case I bought an Avalon Olympic to use as an insert; the exact same model is also sold as a freestanding stove. I eventually got rid of my surround panels and lined the old fireplace firebox (with ceramic insulation and sheet metal) to avoid losing so many btu's to the great outdors. I believe I get considerably more heat with the new setup (no surround panels). Here is a thread to check out: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23704/

Status
Not open for further replies.