Inserts that are recommended or ones to avoid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2009
Hampton, NH
There have been many threads about what top inserts to buy but I guess I am asking if it's easier to find the ones to avoid.

A friend of mine just bought an old farmhouse with a center fireplace. She wants to put an insert in but can't afford my recommendation of a new Harman. She scouring Craigslist and has found a few that were in her price range. She's looking to spend $2500 max but would love less if possible.

Besides Harman, Quadrafire and Enviro, what are some decent names and what are the one's to avoid at all costs? She will have to pay someone to install it and someone to maintain it.

What say you?

Oh, great to be back for another season!

Unfortunately any recommended stoves from me are higher than that price level (like blazeking princess insert).

Remember that buying a wood stove insert from Craigslist or 'used' is a form of adverse selection, meaning the majority of used stoves, especially inserts given their discreet location in a room, are being sold because the owner deemed it not to their liking. Therefore you will probably come to the same conclusion after purchasing and constant use. Yes some people are moving and whatnot, but many times they switched/upgraded stoves or heat sources, which are both commonly the result of an 'undesired' stove. In addition, an Insert is usually ok just staying put in the firebox if its no longer desired, therefore buying a 'used' insert is a sign that its not 'desirable' for heating purposes and the person is likely upgrading or buying something better.

That said, you can search this site and find reviews in order to better hone in on specific wood stove ratings.

I agree Ricky. It seems that most of the ones for sale in my area are from dealers, although they don't say that. They have multiple stoves from the same lister...all the same makes. I am also aware that a lot of pellet stoves are sold because the person didn't realize the maintenance required or did no maintenance to it until it died.

The woman who is looking for the stove is an older woman, and yes, I did tell her the potential for disaster, but not knowing what she is looking at, I can't give her recommendations. I was hoping to tell her not to bother with, say Fred's Pellet Insert, if you know what I mean.

I would seriously steer her away from a pellet stove simply because she doesn't sound like she could do the maintenance and, especially, the troubleshooting when things DO go wrong, AND THEY WILL. With a used stove, expect such trouble from the beginning. That is, unless you are willing to spend hours on end doing the troubleshooting when it least suits you.
Pellet stoves, unless the owner is rich, require someone with mechanical and electrical knowledge as well as a commitment to do periodic cleaning when required, not when they feel like it. I guess you know that. Talk her out of it!!!!

I tried the other day, believe me. That's why I tried to talk her into a new Harman. I will see her tomorrow and try again but my gut feeling that she will keep looking. She's an old stubborn Yankee!

Used comes with it's own legal/etc problems, like getting the building permit, getting piping, installing, no dealer support, etc. Having burned now for 5 years, i'd say i'm just now ready to consider my next stove to be a used unit IF i could see it working (ie, still installed at the sellers house)... and it won't be an insert.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
There have been many threads about what top inserts to buy but I guess I am asking if it's easier to find the ones to avoid.

A friend of mine just bought an old farmhouse with a center fireplace. She wants to put an insert in but can't afford my recommendation of a new Harman. She scouring Craigslist and has found a few that were in her price range. She's looking to spend $2500 max but would love less if possible.

Besides Harman, Quadrafire and Enviro, what are some decent names and what are the one's to avoid at all costs? She will have to pay someone to install it and someone to maintain it.

What say you?

Oh, great to be back for another season!
I would save my money till I had enough to buy a harman

That would be like giving my 72 yr old mom my backup stove and say here you go, you figure it out!, when i bought my stove i never knew about cleaning the exhaust and behind the firebrick, worked fine that winter but next fall I tried to light thestove and the pellet's wouldn't drop I learned real fast.

This is for a pellet, not wood insert.

Does one have to remove the pellet insert to clean the flue? That would seem to be an annual big hassle.

Wouldnt you get annual service for every other equipment - oil boilers, A/Cs, water filtration? Why is this any different?
Because you very well could be in an area where either no one services the stove or the dealer has since closed shop. There are not nearly as many REPUTABLE stove dealers as there are HVAC guys.

This is for a pellet, not wood insert.

Does one have to remove the pellet insert to clean the flue? That would seem to be an annual big hassle.
You sure do and YES it is a hassle even if you have one that comes out on rails.

A chimney sweep can do the vent cleaning and usually without moving the insert. The rest of the cleaning can be done without moving the insert.
I have to admit that cleaning the exhaust blower on the MVAE is awkward, but doesn't require any exceptional strength. The blower is relatively small and light. My bigest problem with it is getting my fat hands in there to loosen the six nuts that hold the blower motor to the blower housing.
The rest is all done from the front.

Because you very well could be in an area where either no one services the stove or the dealer has since closed shop. There are not nearly as many REPUTABLE stove dealers as there are HVAC guys.
BTW, do you guys see any difference in getting the stove serviced by THE dealer vs any dealer (who dosent sell that brand you own). My dealer lives a ways away and Im thinking Im better off having a relationship with someone closeby.

A chimney sweep can do the vent cleaning and usually without moving the insert. The rest of the cleaning can be done without moving the insert.
I have to admit that cleaning the exhaust blower on the MVAE is awkward, but doesn't require any exceptional strength. The blower is relatively small and light. My bigest problem with it is getting my fat hands in there to loosen the six nuts that hold the blower motor to the blower housing.
The rest is all done from the front.
Next spring I'm going to have to give that a try on my Quads. I see a lot of skinned knuckles in my future, me thinks. You HAVE to pull the exhaust blower for sure if you are sweeping from the top. interesting!

You HAVE to pull the exhaust blower for sure if you are sweeping from the top. interesting!
My sweep worked from below and reconnected the vent for me. He didn't pull the insert from the chase. I have done the same, but it is slightly beyond my arm strength to lift the vent back up above the coupling flange.

I have to slide my insert forward and sideway's to access the exhaust pipe to clean, do it twice a year, not a big deal for me but a elderly women yes, i'm sure stove dealer's love to see people come in with all the saving money over oil hype and get sucked in without knowing all the work involved.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Not sure why it's so hard to maintence the stove excep the yearly cleaning in wich I would pay the dealer for if I was older its pretty darn easy to fill the hopper and run the ash vac once a week.unable to do any of those things would be a problem but objects in motion tend to stay that way and a little exercise and I mean a little exercise won't hurt the elderly

Status
Not open for further replies.