Inside the megastorm coming up now. (Sandy) PBS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I know this does not belong here but wanted to get it out to as many as possible in case you wanted to catch it. 9pm in our area tonight! Looks like it could be an interesting program. NOVA

Moving to Inglenook for wider exposure.

Wish I had TV. Would love to watch it. Thanks for the heads up. I may be able to get it on the PBS website as a video later. Most people are talking about winter now. I am still waiting out hurricane season first.

Don't know how you figure that. I was watching it coming on the NOAA website for a week before it smacked us.

Don't know how you figure that. I was watching it coming on the NOAA website for a week before it smacked us.

They just explained on the show how the European models were the first to say that Sandy was going to hit the coast hard right around NYC. The U.S. models still had it going out to see for some time after that. Then as it got a lot closer our models started to show and agree with the European models that told us that. That is what the show is saying anyway.

Yeah NOAA's text discussions were talking about the differences then. At one point one of the seven models had it coming right up the Chesapeake bay on top of my house. !!!

Then it did what a lot of them do. Walked up the East Coast and kicked the crap out of you guys. Most of the time ones that do that mostly hammer Long Island.

Reactions: Dix
Ya. I am glad I do not live near the coast. I am way up on the Canadian border. Many guys, as you know, were from the Island or that area of NJ, NY. It took me over a week to get ahold of my pal Infinity Mike from the Island. Man they got hit hard. I remember being very concerned about him and Dix.

Thanks I just turned it on.

They just said it (the storm surge) hit October 29th? What the hell. It has been almost a year? It seems like it just happened 4 or 5 months ago. Man, time flies when your having fun burning wood.

Ya. I am glad I do not live near the coast. I am way up on the Canadian border. Many guys, as you know, were from the Island or that area of NJ, NY. It took me over a week to get ahold of my pal Infinity Mike from the Island. Man they got hit hard. I remember being very concerned about him and Dix.

Yeah Dix and I were on the phone. Wanted to get her one of my generators but there were no shipping companies able to go there.

They just said it (the storm surge) hit October 29th? What the hell. It has been almost a year? It seems like it just happened 4 or 5 months ago. Man, time flies when your having fun burning wood.

Yeah the lateness of it caught me. The worst we got hammered was in Sept. 2004. The hurricane hit Florida but the tropical storm came all the way up inland and spawned a spin down tornado. That dipped down 18 feet from my house and popped back up. Took out thirty six trees right in front of the house.

Yep, it's almost a year. I had just started my new job.

Still need a generator, but getting closer.

I'm still processing "Sandy Firewood" !

Man. They just showed some really sad stuff. People explaining how they lost their loved one or loved ones. ;hm

I probably was the only person that benefited from Sandy. I had been in Aldi grocery a few days before and noticed their weekly special was little 3250/2500 generators and the store had two of them. The night before it became obvious that Sandy was going to kick butt on a whim I drove into town and they were still there. I bought them both and posted one on craigslist that night. Ten minutes later a guy down the road replied and came and picked it up at retail price. Given the deal Aldi was offering I kept the other one for a net cost of $84 and he was so thrilled to get it, because everybody around had instantly sold out that day, I was afraid he was going to try to kiss me.

I then spent a week getting craigslist emails offering to kill me for not selling it to them. <>

Sounds familiar. I had been paying close attention to the ice storm that was coming in 1998. I called Wal Mart and reserved one of the four generators they had left. I told them I would be there at 7am I think it was. When I got there they had three generators left, I had reserved the largest one, and their was a line of people there waiting to see if they could get one of them. Luckily I had the money to buy one. It was going to make me late on a few other payments that month. But that generator saved my house. (Baseboard hot water.) My tenants and I had heat and some electricity and a satellite dish that we shared the extension cords for. Grilling food on the propane grills. Took over a week to get power back to the house. We are in the country. Took 2 or 3 weeks to get power to many in the country. I still have that generator and use it once or twice a year because of thunderstorms or winter wind storms. Fire it up and let it run for a while every other month as well.

We knew it was coming but no one predicted winds from the north over 90mph, that's what did us in here, winds between the cliffs in PA and NJ, big wind tunnel, north to south. We were prepared fir rain and flooding, not wind.

After $100k worth of damage to our house, I am trying to FORGET about Sandy. Here's what an 85ft Ash tree looks like when it tries to cut your house in half! If you look about a 1/3 of the way down, you'll see the tree climber in jeans, fearlessly trimming it down to make it lighter for the crane to hoist off. At the very bottom is the peak of my roof, this tree was huge!

They will finally be done my repairs next week, they worked here exclusively March to July and have been coming a few days here and there to finish gutters a d trim work outside, inside spackle and paint, etc. I'm just glad it's almost done. Living in a house during renovations (especially the roof) is a big headache!

Anyway, to make matters worse, yes, Sandy hit 10/29 but the year before 10/28 we had a FREAK ice storm that was pretty bad here, pulled down trees, power and phone lines, etc. It wasn't until Sandy that some of my neighbors unfortunately found out that their home owner policies would only cover 20% of their damage since they had TWO claims in the same calendar year...by one day. There are still houses here destroyed, trees through them. We we fortunate to have great insurance, a great adjuster and an honest contractor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 106
Living in a house during renovations (especially the roof) is a big headache!

Yeah. We have lived with a few dozen 80 to 100 foot trees 50 feet from the house for 29 years. Like I told a neighbor, I just put a $13,000 roof on the place this year to bring them down on us.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
We knew it was coming but no one predicted winds from the north over 90mph, that's what did us in here, winds between the cliffs in PA and NJ, big wind tunnel, north to south. We were prepared fir rain and flooding, not wind.

After $100k worth of damage to our house, I am trying to FORGET about Sandy. Here's what an 85ft Ash tree looks like when it tries to cut your house in half! If you look about a 1/3 of the way down, you'll see the tree climber in jeans, fearlessly trimming it down to make it lighter for the crane to hoist off. At the very bottom is the peak of my roof, this tree was huge!

They will finally be done my repairs next week, they worked here exclusively March to July and have been coming a few days here and there to finish gutters a d trim work outside, inside spackle and paint, etc. I'm just glad it's almost done. Living in a house during renovations (especially the roof) is a big headache!

Anyway, to make matters worse, yes, Sandy hit 10/29 but the year before 10/28 we had a FREAK ice storm that was pretty bad here, pulled down trees, power and phone lines, etc. It wasn't until Sandy that some of my neighbors unfortunately found out that their home owner policies would only cover 20% of their damage since they had TWO claims in the same calendar year...by one day. There are still houses here destroyed, trees through them. We we fortunate to have great insurance, a great adjuster and an honest contractor

I remember your troubles, well, some of what you posted anyway. I am glad you folks are getting things finished up there. It sounds like you have been very fortunate with your contractor, insurance, etc. I am very glad things have worked out the way they did for you. Sorry for all your trouble, but at least you and yours all came out with their health being well. I hope I am correct in saying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.