Inspect/ sweep - Did I get ripped off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WhyKnot

Dec 23, 2021
Michigan
Hi all,

We moved into an early 1900's home this fall with a wood burning fireplace. Previous owner said the fireplace/ chimney had been rebuilt about 5 yrs ago and they used it regularly. Being a first time fireplace owner (grew up with a stove but nothing as an adult), we decided to have a local company out to inspect and sweep. They said everything looked sound and swept usual buildup. Awesome.

I poke my head in there today before starting a fire and see a hole above the lintel as well as missing parging above the smoke shelf. This seems like an obvious issue from my limited knowledge. Am I missing something?

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Bholler can answer your question but he's probably asleep, bump your thread in the morning.

I’d say somebody is full of manure is my opinion.

Yeah the sweep definitely should have said something. It may be perfectly safe it's hard to say from the pics but it should have been mentioned for sure. And it doesn't look very clean ontop of it.

Thanks all for the replies. I plan to contact them and ask about it.

Here's a picture of the firebox/ facing. And another trying to show the location of the hole (almost directly above the lintel on the left hand side when looking at the fireplace). It's about 4" x 1.5" and appears deep with some creosote buildup.

IMG_20211225_113623.jpg
IMG_20211225_113602.jpg

Bump in case this would be an easy diy fix. Stuff the hole with some rock wool then cover with refractory cement?
Possibly there is no way for us to know without seeing it in person

I'm ms worry wort here and if that hole is there there might be other ones that the stove person missed as well as a major something---that could cause real problems and just plugging up the hole just sounds toooo simple to me on the looks of it----I would get a second opinion..old mrs clancey

You said you just moved into this house this past fall--was there a home inspection done prior to sale? If so, it's possibly ok if that inspection didn't flag it (chimney inspections for home sales are supposed to be done at a higher level than a typical Level 1 "inspection/cleaning". However, I personally would not be comfortable burning a fire in that fireplace. If it were me, instead of contacting the same chimney sweep again, I would get a second opinion from a different company and at a higher level of inspection. From my limited knowledge about chimney sweeps and chimney inspectors, they are not the same. Do you know if your sweep was certified by CSIA or NFI?

Chimney Sweep Or Chimney Inspector: Who Should You Hire?​

These terms are often used interchangeably, but they’re different people. A chimney sweep is a technician capable of providing chimney cleaning services, while a chimney inspector must be certified by the CSIA or the National Fireplace Institute (NFI). These advanced inspection credentials are required by lenders and insurers to ensure your chimney’s safety.

CSIA also certifies chimney sweeps to make sure that your annual fireplace cleaning routine meets safety standards.

How can I find a good chimney sweep?​

In addition to advancing public awareness about chimney safety and the danger of chimney fires, CSIA provides certification for chimney sweeps. If you’re looking for a professional to inspect and clean your chimney, find one who is CSIA certified.

Before hiring a chimney sweep, CSIA recommends asking them to provide references and finding out if they carry a valid business liability insurance policy, in addition to ensuring that they are CSIA certified.

Last edited:
You said you just moved into this house this past fall--was there a home inspection done prior to sale? If so, it's possibly ok if that inspection didn't flag it (chimney inspections for home sales are supposed to be done at a higher level than a typical Level 1 "inspection/cleaning". However, I personally would not be comfortable burning a fire in that fireplace. If it were me, instead of contacting the same chimney sweep again, I would get a second opinion from a different company and at a higher level of inspection. From my limited knowledge about chimney sweeps and chimney inspectors, they are not the same. Do you know if your sweep was certified by CSIA or NFI?
There is no difference between chimney sweeps and chimney inspectors. And home inspections rarely address the chimney. Unless a chimney professional was brought in separately.

There is no difference between chimney sweeps and chimney inspectors.
Maybe you could clarify? Can one legally call themself a chimney inspector/sweep if they are not certified by CSIA or NFI? Or is this certification optional and nothing but a marketing ploy?

And home inspections rarely address the chimney. Unless a chimney professional was brought in separately.
Thanks for clarifying that. Caveat Emptor.

this should be covered by your Home Warranty, if you have one...

Maybe you could clarify? Can one legally call themself a chimney inspector/sweep if they are not certified by CSIA or NFI? Or is this certification optional and nothing but a marketing ploy?
Some areas require certification others don't. Honestly the certification doesn't mean much other than they are willing to pay to maintain certification. There is also certified chimney professionals now which you will be seeing more of and less of csia. There has been drama in the industry

Reactions: clancey