Install fireplace insert in prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Hearth Supporter
Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
We have a Lennox LBR 43 prefab fireplace and I am thinking about installing a fireplace insert and I have a couple of questions. We would like to heat or just supplement our heatpump (approximately 1900 square feet).

1. I am thinking of getting a Regency I2400 or a Lennox C210 and now thinking Pacific insert. Which brand would be the best for installing in my prefab fireplace?
2. How hard is the install? I am pretty handy, I am just worried about lining up the flu pipe to insert.
3. What is the approximate pay back time? I have access to firewood so that won't be an expense.
4. For anyone who has installed an insert in prefab fireplace, was it worth it?

Thanks for any responses.

1) I think that regency or PE are better inserts then Lennox. Not sure if the PE is ZC approved, the regency is.
2) The hard part is getting the liner and the insert to line up. Sometimes they can be to far off to install them all together. We use a small section of flex to get through the damper section, then continue up with rigid liner.
3) No idea, you wont know what kind of offsets you will receive until you burn it for a season. The tax credit will help.
4) The zc currently is a open hole to the outside, and pulls the warm air from your house to the outside when you use it. Its better to not have any fireplace then a fireplace like that. The retro to a efficient fireplace insert will make a huge difference in your home heating loads.

Thank you for your response. I have a question about lining up the flu pipes. The attached drawing is a cut sheet of the fireplace I have now next to the Regency I2400(I have the larger of the two sizes listed on the drawing). I can email this drawing if quality is poor. From the front edge of my fireplace the center of the flu is 15-1/4" back and 36-1/8" up from the floor of my fireplace. When I install the Regency the center of the flu pipe will be 11-1/8" back from the front of my fireplace and the top of the Regency will be 20-7/8" up from the bottom. So the horizontal distance will be 4-1/4" between center line of two flu pipes and the verticle distance will be 15-1/4". Do you think that I could get the needed fittings to make this install work?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Install fireplace insert in prefab fireplace
    fireplace.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 829
You should be able to get the liner & the flex-to-rigid (FtR) adapter into the top of the insert,
without any additional fittings...
You're going to have to get a fully wrapped (insulated) liner for the length that's within the
Majestic vent pipe due to the heat from the liner exceeding the safe rated temps of the existing vent
The hard part will be trying to get the FtR attached to the brackets on top of the insert.
The FtR is a fairly heavy gage Stainless Steel & you should probably use some drill pointed or piloting
screws to attach it, held in a magnetic driver in a screw gun...
You will probably have to fabricate a small metal or stone riser to support the
under side of the blower unit - so it looks good...

I installed a I2400 Regency in my ZC fp last december and had the same problems/concerns you are having. My flue and outlet on my regency were about 5" offset also. I used a adjustable adapter very similiar to what you showed.
I had very little clearance to work with. Hope you have more.
It was a lot of work (did it my self, with neighbors help.} but, boy am I ever glad I did it. Furnace hardly ever turns on now, only in the AM before I get the insert going again. (too lazy to get up in the middle of the night to feed it!) We used to use the fp a lot but it ate a lot of wood and didn't do much in the way of heating.
I opened up the bottom of the ZC fp and shimmed the floor with non-combustible material in a few places because I didn't feel the floor of the fp was strong enough to support the insert. (It's heavy)
I installed a flex liner all the way to the top of the chimney.
I also built a hearth about 6" hi that extends farther out than my fp hearth. Be aware there are code requirements. Let me know if you would like me to post pictures or more info.
Make sure you get a blower with it. Makes a lot of difference. Mine has a 2 speed blower, but I just leave it on hi-speed auto and use a variable speed control to control the speed (and noise).
Also check with your insurance company to make sure they are OK with a stove in the house. You don't want to give them a excuse to deny a claim.
I also had it inspected by the county after the install so now I'm legal!

I love my insert! Shoulda done it sooner.

Dieselbreath - I think I am going to attempt this project pretty soon. What was the hard part about installing the stove? Was is connecting the flue pipe to the adapter and the adapter to the insert? Also, do you happen to remember the opening measurements on your fireplace or what model it is? Could you tell a difference on your heating bill, if so about how much? Would you mind telling me how much money you have into your stove and liner and if you got a tax credit? Thanks for you response I feel a lot better about this project after hearing from you.

The dimensions of the old fp were 39 w, 21 7/8 hi (opening), 23 3/4 depth, 29 5/8 width at the rear.
The hardest part was installing the offset adapter to the insert. You seem to have a few more inches to work with so you should have no problem. We installed it on the liner first then slid the insert in and pried it up to fit onto the insert.
The 2nd hardest part was sliding the liner down the existing flue. Mine had a offset (30 degrees), but once past the bend it went easily.
I built a temporary hearth out of scrap wood so I could slide the insert in and not damage the marble one, then just slid the final one in when done.
Haven't cleaned the liner yet (soon) but my plan is to remove the upper fire brick exposing the insert opening, clean it from top down, and vacuum what creosote comes down.
Our gas bill dropped from $150/mo to $30 last winter. Very happy with that.
Aside from the savings, it's just great sitting in the family room with the insert blazing away. The cats and dog really love it.
Previously when I would burn the fp I could always see smoke coming out the chimney and creosote would build up and run down the chimney cap. Now I never see any smoke!
Just make sure you put in a full length liner. You'll sleep a lot better.
I have about $2,000 into it. No tax credit for me. I bought it slightly used and don't qualify. Saved a lot by doing it myself plus I just didn't have confidence in the installers doing everything right with a difficult installation.

Attachments

IMG_1442 (Small).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 611
    IMG_1441 (Small).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 559
Status
Not open for further replies.