Install it myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShawnG

Feb 27, 2019
Pickerington
Hi all
My very first post. I am looking at the Mendota FV44i and am seriously considering installing it myself, including electric and gas lines.
My main concern is if I do it myself will Mendota void my warranty?
And if not have any of you installed 1 and any thing i need to pay special action to?

Hi all
My very first post. I am looking at the Mendota FV44i and am seriously considering installing it myself, including electric and gas lines.
My main concern is if I do it myself will Mendota void my warranty?
And if not have any of you installed 1 and any thing i need to pay special action to?
I'd be more concerned with the safety of yourself and your family and insurance concerns if something "bad" happened than voiding your warranty. I do not sell mendota but I sell other brands and process warranty claims and allthough the manufacturers require photos of the installs they never have asked who installed it.

I'd be more concerned with the safety of yourself and your family and insurance concerns if something "bad" happened than voiding your warranty. I do not sell mendota but I sell other brands and process warranty claims and allthough the manufacturers require photos of the installs they never have asked who installed it.
I would not say installing these are rocket science but there is a reason that these licensed professionals go through school and apprenticeship

Review the installation and operating manual for a gas fireplace before you buy it.

Often they are quite detailed on how installations should be done.

The hard part though, is that installing equipment requires a diverse range of skills. If you are starting from scratch to learn many or all of them, that's a pretty tall learning curve. If you already have a number of such skills such as electrical and gas lines, and just need to learn a few, that becomes easier to do.

Thank you, none of the work scares me, I have done gas, electric many times and I'm still here. LOL
I just wonder if the fireplace comes set from the factory to burn properly out of the box, which in my brain makes the most since. As opposed to needing fine tuning with special tools.

I just wonder if the fireplace comes set from the factory to burn properly out of the box, which in my brain makes the most since. As opposed to needing fine tuning with special tools.

In many cases it does, but in many cases you will have to install packaged lo0gs and embers that come packed with the equipment. Usually there are directions on how to do that in the manual, and sometimes the4y can be important to follow carefully and accurately. Following the direction on installing logs and embers will usually produce the best appearing flame pattern.

But---- read the manual carefully before buying the equipment and get any questions you have answered before writing a check.

Sometimes there are requirements to set the primary air shutter properly for example, and doing that correctly is important. So the answer is ----it depends.