Install on Wednesday?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whphel

Dec 18, 2007
Lake Stevens, WA
After having a good sized chimny fire Saturday after last, with an old Country stove ainsert and an 8" opening into a clay lined fireplace with no pipe and fireplace flue in tact.

I bought a new Avalon Olympic this last Saturday with pipe and install kit but the soonest I can get anyone out to do an install is Jan 22. So I decided I willdo the install myself.

I have a masonry fireplace which is clay lined built in 1992 which has a flue in it. From what I understand is I need to cut out the flue sweep the fireplace and then start feeding pipe down from the top. of the stack untill I can get a connection to the stove hook it all up seal the space around the flue with a sheet of steel around the flue
pipe install the weather sheild on stack and pipe cap in short.

My father in law was a chimny sweep and installer for a long time (his own company) that I can call if I get in a snag. I have looked at diagrams and read alot so I hope Im not to far off. So any help from you guys would be great. I have been without heat since the chimny fire so I have to get this thing fired up.

Thanks John G.

What size is original chimney? Is it on an interior or exterior wall?
I know you need heat, just want to make sure your not just jumping in without realizing what you need and sizing etc. Insulating?

Dont cut your flue, its your damper you want to cut! (if necessary). And what Hogz said.

Well I did installed it yestrday. All went smooth after cuttin out the damper.

Oh I have a masonry chimney that is outside the house that has a clay liner. I used the piping kit it can with and all the instructions.

There was an older Country stove in there before that just vented into the chimny with no piping.

After a big chimny fire 2 Saturdays back which I could not get out on my own I called the fire department. It took them half an our to get all done. The pulled the stove out and I started doing research.

So anyway New stove is in stainless pipe from stove to top of chimney insulated at top sealed and stainless weather head. The new stove puts out some great heat and the window to see the fire is fantastic.

Thanks for the replyes.
I will be reading and I am sure asking more questions. Great forum!

Glad that you are safe--- and warm once again !
Good for you, taking on the job yourself...now,
get that father-in-law out there to look it all over, and make sure he puts his daughter on 'scheuled maintainence' program. :exclaim:

Great to hear whphel. Did ya get a block off plate installed too? What stove are you running with the new flue?

I went through the chimney fire thing last year in the mid winter. It was the first one I had experienced. Since that night the temp dropped to -20 degrees we were thankful we had an upstairs masonry type (sort of) fireplace and we were able to keep warm as I had the gas meter shut off 9 months ago and had to wait a day of two until they could turn it back on.

Anyway. Good for you on getting it taken care of the right way.

Any pictures of your set up.

Now you can have some piece of mind.

I let may chimney fire just burn itself out. I called our local fire chief (small town) and seemed to think it would be best to let it go as it stayed contained and our chimney (exterior) was built completely concrete in cased with the flue on the outer side away from the house. Scary though.

I did not ask the fire department nor tell them I was re installing. They told me what to do to fix it and I did as they instructed. I will call them and have them come and check it out for peace of mind.

My best friends dad was a master mason and he cam and checked out the chimney after the fire and said that all was good. The chimney was actualy built in Oct 1992 so its young yet.

The stove installed is an Avalon Olympic. I will take some pic's today at some time and post them.

BeGreen said:
Great to hear whphel. Did ya get a block off plate installed too? What stove are you running with the new flue?

I did not and there wasn't one in the install kit either. I will go in and get that today as it was supposed to be included.
It did come with the plate for the top with the hole in it to mount the weatherhead and High heat insulation to wrap around the pipe at the top of the stack just below the weather plate which is seald with high temp silicone.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0019[1].jpg
    IMG_0019[1].jpg
    56 KB · Views: 482
Looking good. Usually block off plates are custom made because the have to be site fitted. But all it takes is some sheetmetal. Did you read the wiki article on making one? Also search for iceman's recent installation for some good visuals.

I will and thank you.

BeGreen said:
Looking good. Usually block off plates are custom made because the have to be site fitted. But all it takes is some sheetmetal. Did you read the wiki article on making one? Also search for iceman's recent installation for some good visuals.

I checked with the dealer and installer and they only install the block off plate if you ar going to end the pipe at the clay liner of the chimney (also in the instuction manual) but since I ran pipe from stove to top of chimney it is not required.

If there is some reaseon I should add it please let me know why and I will install one. If it meens more heat in the house or for sfafty reasons it is a done deal.

whphel said:
BeGreen said:

I checked with the dealer and installer and they only install the block off plate if you ar going to end the pipe at the clay liner of the chimney (also in the instuction manual) but since I ran pipe from stove to top of chimney it is not required.

If there is some reaseon I should add it please let me know why and I will install one. If it meens more heat in the house or for sfafty reasons it is a done deal.

Yep, both.

R.Alfano said:
whphel, did you drop the liner yourself? how long was it? did you use one of those pull cones?

I had help from my employee and I didn't use a pull cone. We straitend out the pipe as best we could then I climbed up and feed it down to him and he manuvered it through the domper opening to the stove as I pushed from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.