Installation of a Woodstock Cottage Franklin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I'm helping a friend install a Woodstock Cottage Franklin in his studio. It was for sale used, and I helped him decide on this stove partly due to the positive reviews I've read on the Woodstock brand on this forum. The stove is replacing a different heater, so there is already a gas line professionally run for LP. We plan to vent it into an existing masonry chimney. It's an interior chimney with brick surrounding 6" or 8" clay tile and about 14' high (single story).

1. In reading the instructions, we need some 4" liner for the chimney. Can this be obtained from most hearth stores, or do we need to order that from Woodstock?

2. In order to get intake air flow to the stove, the double wall 6" only needs to run from the stove to the chimney. The rest can be 4" single wall liner, correct?

3. The fake logs are broken in several places. They appear to be made out of some sort of refractory material. We might order a new set, but can they just be pieced back together for the time being?

4. There is no mention in the manual about floor protection, so I expect none is needed? The last heater sat right on the wood floor.

Thanks.

I'm helping a friend install a Woodstock Cottage Franklin in his studio. It was for sale used, and I helped him decide on this stove partly due to the positive reviews I've read on the Woodstock brand on this forum. The stove is replacing a different heater, so there is already a gas line professionally run for LP. We plan to vent it into an existing masonry chimney. It's an interior chimney with brick surrounding 6" or 8" clay tile and about 14' high (single story).

1. In reading the instructions, we need some 4" liner for the chimney. Can this be obtained from most hearth stores, or do we need to order that from Woodstock?

No. The stove requires Simpson Dura Vent.

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=5

It can be gotten on-line or at a hearth shop.

2. In order to get intake air flow to the stove, the double wall 6" only needs to run from the stove to the chimney. The rest can be 4" single wall liner, correct?

Not quite, The OD is 6-5/8" with a 4" ID. The co-axial vent is run to the thimble where a masonry adapter kit is needed. The 4" liner runs from that point to the top of the flue tile where it needs to be attached to the underside of the cap.

3. The fake logs are broken in several places. They appear to be made out of some sort of refractory material. We might order a new set, but can they just be pieced back together for the time being?

They are generally made from a ceramic fiber material. They can be temporarily repaired with RTV silicone or drywall screws, if they are carefully inserted...

4. There is no mention in the manual about floor protection, so I expect none is needed? The last heater sat right on the wood floor.

Page 3 of the install manual says the it cannot be set on combustible material. It must be set on stone, metal or tile with a dimension of 24' X 30" MINIMUM.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.