Installation of Jotul 3TD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipTam

Burning Hunk
Last weekend, I purchased a used Jotul 3TD. The sale originated with my "Wanted to Buy" ad here at Hearth.com. So, thank you Hearth.com and thank you Carl (the seller who contacted me). Although the stove is 20 years old, it was well cared for and seems in excellent shape. I will be taking the stove to my summer/retirement home in Canada and I hope the age of the stove will not be a problem with the folks at Canadian customs. Oh well, I'll know the answer to that question in about 3 weeks.

Anyway I was reading Jotul's installation manual and had a few questions that other forum members might be able to answer. Here are the basics. The stove will be installed in a 125 year-old, 2 story, salt box home in Newfoundland. It will connect to a 40 year-old interior brick chimney. A couple of years ago, I added a 7 inch rigid stainless steel liner to this unlined chimney. The stove utilizes a 6" chimney pipe but I understand I can use a 6" to 7" adapter at the thimble.

My first questions relate to the chimney. Jotul says that "the fire clay chimney liner should measure at least 8"x8"." Is my round 7" stainless steel liner adequate? The chimney is roughly 26 feet tall. Also, Jotul says "a chimney inside the house must have at least 2" of clearance to the combustable structure" and "fire stops must be installed at the spaces where the chimney passes through floors and/or ceilings." Right now, the small pieces of ceiling joists which box in the chimney are only about 1/2" from the chimney. Do I need that 2"gap with a stainless steel liner. I'll re-do the framing and flooring, if necessary, but it will involve a fair amount of work. Also, what do I use for "fire-stopping material"? Jotul doesn't specify but, from their drawing, it looks like thin metal pieces attached to the joists. Last, in regard to the chimney, Jotul specifies an "airtight cleanout door" at the bottom of the chimney. Right now, only a loose brick blocks the cleanout. I guess that's not enough. Where do I purchase an airtight cleanout door?

Regarding floor protection, Jotul suggests "2 layers of 3/8" asbestos millboard which has a thermal conductivity (K) of less than or equal to 0.84 BTU in/ft H degree F." Now I suspect that asbestos millboard has gone the way of $2,000 cars and instructions for floor protection usualy refer to R-values. Can anyone translate these 1987 instructions into what I will need to protect a wood floor? Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me regarding any of these questions.

Chip

You should be ok with the 7" liner. If anything you may have too strong draft, but a damper can be added if this is an issue. Try it and see how it works first.

Is it possible that the manual instructions are not for a chimney liner system but instead are for class A flue pipe? I don't think you have an issue here either.

You can still buy millboard made from mineral rockwool or ceramic fibers. Depending on local availability you could also use a product called Micore. There are several options that will work for you. Just be sure to put a stiff top layer, like 1/2" Durock or Wonderboard on top for the tile or stone underlayment. Here's a good link about hearth building and insulation values.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Hearth_Design/

My feeling is that the 7" liner installed will help the exterior of that brick chimney from getting too hot, and therefore you might get away with not having to remove the 1/2" away framing material. The heat is now contained within the round liner and would have to then soak through that, the air space and then 4" plus of masonry - highly doubtful.

It might be best to leave it as is (with air) and after the stove is running very hot for a number of hours or days.....hold your hand on the chimney bricks up near the floor level and see what kind of heat you are dealing with. If you can touch it, it is WELL within a margin of safety.

A lot of folks simply seal the cleanout door with silicone caulk or similar and then re-do it once a year when the clean it out, etc.

You can use a number of thicknesses of cement board (usually 4 or 5 or 2" to 2.5" total), or a pre-fab board (approved) or other assemblies to make up a hearth that easily meets that spec.

BeGreen and Craig,

Thank you so much for the feedback on my post about installing my "new" Jotul 3TD. Both of your responses make me feel more comfortable about my proposed installation. BeGreen, thanks for that link regarding floor protection. I'm going to make a copy and take it with me to Canada. By the way, what does Micore look like? Does it come by the sheet or the roll? I think I remember from another thread that it is soft and needs to be protected by at least one sheet of Ducoc. Craig, that's a good suggestion about feeling the brick chimney with a stong fire burning. Like you, I also suspect that it will be no more than warm to the touch. I would really like to avoid re-framing the ceilings for the two floors. Also, sealing that loose brick in front of the cleanout with silicone sounds like a good simple solution for an airtight cleanout door.

Chip

It's soft, white and comes in sheet form. I like Craig's suggestion of just building up several layers of Durock. Cheap, stout and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.