installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdelmonte

Oct 18, 2008
midcoast maine
Does it matter which side of the house the stove is set up on (N, S, E, or W)? One dealer told me it should be set up on a certain side of the house to circulate the heat. Of course I couldn't do it on that side without making a lot of changes that would have cost some $, so I opted for the other side. Well I now have a problem getting this Big E to heat my house (which is under 1500 sq ft total on 2 floors) and was wondering if anyone had any input on this?

I don't think it matters as long as it's in the room that would get the best circulation if you care about that. You put it where it fits the best (like 4 ft away from opening windows or doors).

I do not think what side of the house the stove matters to circulate the heat but it does matter if one side of your house has a heavy wind. If it is a ranch the best install is through the roof, in my opinion.

Eric

When I was growing up, the "OLD FOLKS" always said, "You can't push heat to the North". Now that I'm one of them, I gotta agree. But, that's just my opiniom.

i have a ranch my breckwell p23 heats my house very well . its in the middle of the house through the roof .

Only concern for which side of the house it's on is 1) if you're using a horizontal vent, and 2) you have a prevailing wind on a particular side.

I'd never do a horizontal vent if I could help it, but that's just me. If you did a horizontal vent, you wouldn't want it facing into the wind.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.