Installer Said Outside Air Kit Not Necessary?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its so odd that the issue of the OAK seems to keep going around and around. Also that many installers say you don't need it. W ehad our stove installed this year and I insisted on an OAK. The installer didn't have it so he put the stove in without it. I ran for a few weeks with out it. The stove ran fine but my wife said she had a slight odor from it even after a couple of weeks. Now that the OAK is in, there is no odor (and my wife has a very sensitive snse of smell) and I feel the stove is running better - hotter and more consistent. It could all be a coincidence of the time frame and the fact that he tweaked the vent install at the same time but I am pleased that I had it installed. My house is 40 years old but with 2 additions and extra insulation as well as all new windows its reasonably tight. :coolsmile:

I went the first three years without outside air.
My home was built in the 50's. I had replacement
windows installed a couple years ago and the doors
weatherstripped.

The problem with drawing air from inside the house
is, you are creating a draft at floor level from the stove
taking in the air. If you don't believe it,
lay on the floor in front of the stove and you will feel it.
This year I added an outside air kit and no more draft.
Before, the room would sometimes be very warm but my feet
would be cold if I sat in there for awhile.
I'm now a big advocate of the outside air and will install
it from the get go if I put another stove in.

insuranceman1 said:
Also wouldn't this increase the chance of rust on the inside stove, from moisture? Thanks for all of the explanations.

what moisture?

the cold outside air is dryer than the air inside your house.

Yes when it is not raining or snowing. I may be wrong I do not know, this is why I am asking...wouldn't the OAK pull damp air in as well?

insuranceman1 said:
Yes when it is not raining or snowing. I may be wrong I do not know, this is why I am asking...wouldn't the OAK pull damp air in as well?

yeah, so?

its still probably dryer than the air in your house. Humidity is relative to the temperature of the air. It might be raining outside at 35 degrees/100% humidity. Bring a bucket of that air into your 70 degree house, and it immediately becomes 50% humidity...not that damp. same amount of moisture (water).

suck that same air into a fire that is how hot?
its gonna be boney-dry in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.