smwilliamson Posted By smwilliamson, Sep 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

1. James76

James76
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Huntsville
    Hey folks, I recently was successful is installing the Honeywell RTH6500 on my napolean gas stove.

One thing I was not anticipating was the unit was cycling on 5 to 6 times per hour even though the desired temp was being maintained. Most times the stove would only come on for a few mins. It is my understanding that short cycling is not good for gas stoves.

I've done some research and that heating cycle rates settings may be the culprit. Seeing that there appears to be folks who have successfully installed programmable thermo's on their stoves I am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem or has any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Arti

Arti
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2014
    Loc:
    South West Wisconsin
    I believe it is Function number 5 in the Setup Menu that sets the cycles per hour.
    This thermostat is called a comfort tstat it doesn't really heat to a set point it calculates how many minutes the unit needs to run an hour to maintain a temperature and then breaks this up into 3,5,9, or 1 cycles per hour and then runs so many minutes per cycle. If you look in the install manual and find the setting for steam or hot water it will cut the cycle rate down for you.

Also you may want to look at the smart response settings.
    I'm not familiar with this particular model thermostat but it may have an adjustable swing temp setting in it although most honeywell thermostats don't. They maintain within approx 1/2 degree of set temp, I find most wood/pellet stoves live a 2 or 3 degree swing.

3. RavingZeus

RavingZeus
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 22, 2017
    Loc:
    Montreal

Hi, I have a Harman P43

If i refer to the Technical bulletin of Harman Tstat need to be connected in serie with the probe.
    If I use the schematic in the first post to connect a WIFI Tsat with the relay and a 24volt power source, do I still need to connect the room probe in serie? If yes, were do I put the probe in serie exactly in the diagram?

Thanks for your help

4. RavingZeus

RavingZeus
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 22, 2017
    Loc:
    Montreal
    Everything works perfectly, just connect the Harman temp probe in serie with the relay output.

Thanks for the info!

thermo.jpg

jtakeman likes this.