Installing a cleanout in the lower part of the flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Jan 13, 2012
Virginia
I'm having a new ZC fireplace installed in my house. It will have about 25 feet of chimney/flue height. Chimney is separate from roof, a tall ladder is the only way to access it. Not easy to get to the top with a good margin of safety. So I'm thinking I'd like a "cleanout" (or whatever you guys call it) at the base close to the fireplace unit. Is that possible or practical? I've seen some stove guys talk about it but not for a ZC fireplace. I'd like to be able to open an access panel on the rear of the wood framed (with siding) chimney, inspect the rear part of the fireplace unit and then disconnect a section of pipe and sweep the chimney from the ground instead of using a ladder every time. Is that feasible and practical? I know it can also be done from inside the fireplace unit, but that seems like it would bring a lot of the mess inside and would be harder to do. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.