Installing a Quaker Monrovian insert and need some adivce

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VHi there. I just bought on Craigslist a wood burning insert that is a Quaker Monrovian. We are on a real tight budget and bought this one because it was cheap. Our main furnace is propane and it's just not looking affordable for us to use as our main heat source. I have been reading horror stories about these Quaker Monrovian's being illegal and other things. I have read that we should reline our chimney, but the kits are expensive and also, currently out of our budget. We really only need to make it through this winter then, we can afford the proper install, just trying not to freeze to death, burn my house down, or any other horrible things I have heard.

I have taken some pics of the plate on the stove, the stone face of my fireplace where the stove will sit and a pic of up the chimney as best as I could. Inside the chimney there is no flu or flapper, but what looks like metal hooks where one could go.

Please any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4322.jpg
    IMG_4322.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4327.jpg
    IMG_4327.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 214
You need to clean the chimney first and then find the bucks for a stainless liner.

You need to clean the chimney first and then find the bucks for a stainless liner.
Thanks for the advice. I think we can squeeze the money for the liner. My families safety is top priority. For insurance purposes I am going to go through all the proper channels for permits etc. So I guess the main question is, with the stainless steel chimney liner, can I make this work and not risk an insurance nightmare or the safety of my family? My research is lending to me towards yes, but I'm a first time home owner and just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks in advance for the reply and knowledge.

It's best to ask your insurance company what they require. Some are ok with an authorized inspection, others want it to be installed by a certified installer and some want their own inspection. Have the stove manual on hand for the inspection process. To do this correctly the chimney must be completely cleaned before the liner is installed. Most installations are safer and require an insulated liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.