Installing a Stovax classic cast iron solid fuel fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stewart

Oct 29, 2015
wales
Some 25 years ago we fitted one of these cast iron fireplaces (Adelaide model) and had a Gazco gas fire unit underneath. In recent days we have decided to have removed the gas unit and use the insert fireplace as an open fire (it is able be used as such).

Apparently we have to now backfill the void at the back of the unit(mainly at the sides....we believe so that heat is projected forward and also to ensure that soot does not fall behind which could then ignite. We've been told that a mix of vermiculite and cement is needed which then is inserted into the void behind and this then is to be built with a slope facing into the fire surround so that the soot can fall back to the fire and not be trapped on any ledges or void.
ddddddddddddsssssssssssssssssCapture.JPG
My problem is that the unit is already in place and filling the void will be a fiddle!...the only access is via a gap by raising the baffle at the top. Another problem is that the baffle is within a top plate which has on either side a flat area....surely soot will gather on this and no matter how I slope the sides I cannot ensure that soot falling will not fall onto this top plate!

Has anyone any experience of filling these voids with a grate already in situ? Do I use a layer of rubble and then the vermiculite and cement mix? How do I allow for expansion of the cast iron?

Any help or guidance would be very appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-29_22-56-45.png
    upload_2015-10-29_22-56-45.png
    78 KB · Views: 350
Have I got this piece in the wrong section?...I was hoping to catch the attention of chimney and open fireplace experts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. The stove, terminology and UK requirements are different than here. Hopefully a pro from across the pond will pickup on it.

Reactions: stewart
Haha! I thought that this was a UK site!
Any advise would be helpful just in case the post may not catch the eye of a UK pro.Thanks again

Maybe @bholler has a thought. I am not a mason by any stretch of the imagination.

You need to have it looked at by a pro or post some very detailed pics to give us some idea of what is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.