Installing blaze king insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

M33

Feb 8, 2023
Illinois
I have a few questions about installing blaze king sirocco 25. I have a pre fab heatilator fireplace at the moment. If I remove that pre fabricated fireplace and put concrete board on the bottom and had firebrick installed on all three sides from the concrete board up. Then the top is tin with insulation then another double wall insulated tin hood. Would this be sufficient for an install? Also would be putting new 6” flexible stainless inside my existing 8-9” insulation pipe. Or is the only option putting another pre fab in that would fit the sirroco?

Can you post some pictures? Im not quite following what your saying, I do have some concerns about a prefab fireplace.. like a zero clearance unit, having that stove in the fireplace may cause issues since most zero clearance units do not offer ul127 listing which would allow insert to be installed within.

If this is a heatform style fireplace then leave the prefab in. Otherwise, the insert might not be able to be installed. Pictures of the current setup are welcome.

So this is the heatilator. I’ve started removing the trim to see what I have going here. If I remove it I am left with an opening that is all tin with insulation on it. So basically I am wondering if I can turn it into more of a masonry fire place that would accept the sirroco insert. Line the whole interior with fire brick and pull a 6” liner down the existing flue pipe.

B85328FE-3E8F-43D4-8508-C7CE41776E92.jpeg

Also, while I don't think a 6" stainless in an 8" insulated liner is very dangerous, it will not be legal if you have to install according to the mfg guidelines - because they never would approve this because they have not tested it like that.

It was recommended that I look into using a Stainless DuraFlex 6" liner and run it thru my 8" all the way up the the top.

This needs to be established with the installation manual for the Heatilator. What is the model number?

The heatilator model is a36c but I would like to remove it to make room for a blaze king sirocco 25. That why I was wondering if it would be possible to remove this fireplace and replace it with the sirocco some way.

The heatilator model is a36c but I would like to remove it to make room for a blaze king sirocco 25. That why I was wondering if it would be possible to remove this fireplace and replace it with the sirocco some way.
You absolutely cannot do this. An insert need to go into a functional wood burning fireplace. Some cement board and fire brick certainly isn't enough

Yes, this is a no-go.

There are some past threads on removing the ZC fireplace entirely and then, if the chase is wide enough, installing a new class A chimney system, and converting the chased area to an alcove. This would require trading in the insert for a freestanding stove.

If this is the plan, the width of the chase and ceiling height are critical for meeting the stove's alcove clearance requirements.

There are some past threads on removing the ZC fireplace entirely and then, if the chase is wide enough, installing a new class A chimney system, and converting the chased area to an alcove. This would require trading in the insert for a freestanding stove.

If this is the plan, the width of the chase and ceiling height are critical for meeting the stove's alcove clearance requirements.
Ok thanks. I’ll look into this.

Hello. There are two new standards in development with UL. UL1390, which should be completed this year, mirrors the ULC standard that describes a installation of a solid fuel heater into a masonry fireplace.

The second, UL1392, a new standard for the installation of a solid fuel heater into a manufactured fireplace. This WILL NOT come to being soon. Many issues, and computer modeling is being considered.

Blaze King DOES NOT permit the installation of our solid fuel heaters into any fireplace other than a masonry fireplace.

Final note: This is why this site is so valuable! Helping those that seek help and willing to listen.

@M33, here are a few past postings on alcove installs for inspiration. Stay in touch and feel free to ask questions.