Installing coal fireplace in modern construction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wss7932

Jan 21, 2024
Texas
I’m curious to install a Victorian era coal (solid fuel… wood, etc) in a home built in the 80s. There is no place for it and it isn’t replacing a current fireplace. This would be an installation into an existing room on the end of the house. Given the wall would need to be cut to permit a chimney, and a stone or brick or marble slab would need to be put down, what else should I consider? I want this to be efficient and I specifically want to be able to burn anthracite coal and will be getting either a replica or a reclaimed original. I’d prefer it not be free-standing per se but, rather have a mantle and look like a “fireplace”.

Is anthracite coal available in Texas?
Maybe consider a Woodstock Fireview (wood only) stove instead?

Reactions: wss7932
That’s nice. I really had no idea where to start. Just think it would look good and will be a great backup resource.

The Fireview will provide good heat as long as the firewood is well seasoned. It has Victorian styling. Finding anthracite coal in Texas could be a challenge.

Your state uses the 2018 International Building Code where you will find the Mechanical Code requires a UL listing label attached to all appliances being installed in a new installation.

Where permits are not required, many still install and claim it was existing, since the code is only for a new installation.

Many insurance companies require UL Listed appliances even in existing installations.

Your chimney is going to need more than a slab . It’s going to need a footer placed into the ground to be able to support any masonry chimney, per your local Texas building codes.

That would be the first place to start your research; how to build a footer for a masonry chimney per your local Texas building codes. You need the basic knowledge of the code just to know what is required, even if you somehow bypass having/needing/getting it inspected.

If you get the rest right and the footer wrong, the entire project will be at risk. Start your research there.

I burn anthracite coal in a hand fed stove. Your location prohibits any cheap anthracite getting to you even if you was to build the fireplace. Currently where I am it’s $500/ton +tax.

If you want efficiency then forget any kind of fireplace.

If you must … coalpail.com … but I doubt you get anymore encouragement.

You might also research the dangers of burning coal (really any solid fuel) in an open fireplace. I’d say you need to research this a few years before committing.

Regarding the degree of research required... I agree. I'm thinking of this in a couple of ways. One takes into account a certain degree of nostalgia and appearance. I really like old victorian era fireplaces. We currently have the typical "fireplace" that consists of a steel chimney connected to an open firebox. This is on one end of the house and I intend on replacing all of that with a cast iron insert at some point. The project in question though is on the other end of the house where there is currently nothing. Taking into account the nostalgic angle, I'm also interested in having a good alternative source of heat when things aren't going right, i.e. no electricity or gas for some reason.

Regarding the degree of research required... I agree. I'm thinking of this in a couple of ways. One takes into account a certain degree of nostalgia and appearance. I really like old victorian era fireplaces. We currently have the typical "fireplace" that consists of a steel chimney connected to an open firebox. This is on one end of the house and I intend on replacing all of that with a cast iron insert at some point. The project in question though is on the other end of the house where there is currently nothing. Taking into account the nostalgic angle, I'm also interested in having a good alternative source of heat when things aren't going right, i.e. no electricity or gas for some reason.
You can't replace a zero clearance fireplace with an insert. You would need to replace it with a different fireplace

You can't replace a zero clearance fireplace with an insert. You would need to replace it with a different fireplace
Ok. Well that changes my outlook a bit. Fortunately, since it's in the middle of the house toward the garage, if I decide to go down that route, I have options. Thanks for the input.

Victorian stoves, coal fireplace, and "cast iron Insert"? Do you have a DeLorean hidden in the barn?

• Haha
Reactions: DonTee and wss7932
Is natural gas or propane an option? If so, take a look at the Valor Portrait with the Windsor Arch front. The installation will be simpler.

coal-roomsetting2.png

Is natural gas or propane an option? If so, take a look at the Valor Portrait with the Windsor Arch front. The installation will be simpler.

View attachment 323523

That looks nice. I do have NG, but was hoping to install a potential "off-grid" solution.